RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client Restore Problem

joem

I have a client computer with Windows 7 Pro. It had a 100 MB system reserved partition and the rest was the Windows partition. I install a new hard disk the same size and I create the 100 MB partition and leave the rest for the windows partition and call it the C: drive. The restore won't let me restore the system reserved and the C drive. It states that you can only restore one partition at a time. So It won't let me restore the system reserved or the Window partition. I just don't know what to do at this point or how I should format the drive before the restore. It will let me restore the 100 MB system reserved partition, but not the remainder for the C drive windows partition. What am doing wrong? Or how do you restore to a new blank hard disk that is the same size as the previous. Thanks.

Edited by joem

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• joem

• LoneWolf

Top Posters In This Topic

It does not. Go figure. I am completely lost on this one. I know I had trouble with that in WHS v1 and that is why I did installs without the system reserved partition. Never did figure out how to do it.

All the same model hard disk and everything else.

I googled about this and found these instructions which did not work. When I format to the 100 MB system reserved partion the C drive is one MB smaller than the original via looking in disk manager. Anyway here was the instructions I tried: And DID NOT WORK!

The following instructions help you create and enable the corresponding partitions for a full system restore.

1. Insert the Windows Home Server Home Computer Restore CD into the disc drive of the computer that you want to restore.
  2. Restart the computer, and then start the computer from the CD.
  3. Follow the instructions in the Restore Wizard to continue the restore process.
  4. On the Choose Volumes to Restore page, identify the system reserved volume, and then note the volume size.
  5. Click Run Disk Manager (advanced), and then create a new volume of equal or larger size.
  6. Select the Do not assign a drive letter or drive path option in the New Simple Volume Wizard.
  7. Format the volume by using the NTFS file system.
  8. When formatting is complete, right-click the newly created volume, and then click Mark as active.
  9. Create additional volumes as needed for other Windows volumes in the backup. If you installed a new hard disk, all the matching volumes that you create must be of equal or larger size.
  10. On the Choose Volumes to Restore page, map the system reserved volume to the volume of the same size that you created in step 5.
  11. Map all other source volumes to the corresponding destination volumes.
  12. Click Next to continue the restore process.

Edited by joem

Have you tried creating a USB restore thumb drive? A lot of issues with V1 revolved around not having the correct NIC drivers.