RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS v1 to 2011 - New Build

jd00510

Hi All -

Looking for some advice in regards to a new build I'm looking at. I currently have a "frankenbuild" WHS v1 running pretty much flawlessly (until lately) for 3 years. Love it - use it all the time, primarily as a fileserver/media server/remote access server. Used for a while to run itunes as a service (trying to make that work was always a fun experience!) but using that feature less and less with Airplay now readily available.

As I said this was a build from a bunch of spare parts - thus it's rocking out a Pentium 4 with like 2gb RAM Maybe less. :-) It's time for an upgrade. Additionally, the oldest drive in the system happens to be the system drive -- great planning! -- so after a recent failure of the drive adjacent to that system drive I felt it was time for a new, hopefully more reliable build.

I've done some reading on these pages and looked at "the Docs world" with his impressive setups. I think I have some ideas of what you all are going to say, but here goes:

Purpose for my build will be file serving, backups for local and remote (connected via VPN) family computers, media service, ideally media streaming as well (home videos streamed to other computers/portable devices).

Potential FUTURE ideas include:

-Virtualization of the server to run a dedicated "itunes server" to collate libraries from multiple iOS devices

-Possible virtualization to work with home security cameras/home automation

Neither of the above ideas are implemented or are planned in the near future - but I'd like to future proof for that possibility. I don't have a great grasp on this yet (haven't done the reading, etc.) but I'd like for my hardware to not prohibit me from going this route, should I decide to in the future.

Questions are as follows:

I think I've decided to stick with Intel on the build.

-i3 vs. i5 - I think from what I read an i3 will serve my needs well. I do not do a TON of transcoding which seems to be the major improvement I'd see spending more on an i5. That said I'd like to be able to transcode to stream remotely to other computers/portable devices. I'd also like to ensure the possibility of a virtualizaton setup would be adequately served by an i3 -- which is an answer I haven't seen yet. If you agree that an i3 is recommended, what chip is the best bang for the buck? My own research suggests the i3-3220 may be a good point to start: http://www.newegg.co...82E16819116775. About the same price as some of the other i3s and lower power consumption.

-MB: I have an Asus on my homebuilt i7 system which has been rock solid. I've heard of issues with Asus and WHS 2011. I'm open to suggestions - this will be mounted in a 4U rackmount case, so to me the extra space afforded by a ATX probably is better than an mATX (unless there is a great deal on mAtx someone can point out!)

Edit: this board? Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546)

-Memory - was thinking 8GB to start on 2 chips, hopefully leaving enough open slots to allow a move to 16gb should I decide to virtualize in the future.

-Hard drives - 96gb SSD for the system drive (already obtained). Probably will add a new WD Red drive (1.5 or 2Tb, depending on the best deal). I then plan to migrate current WD Green 1.5Tb x 2 and 1 older SATA (~640gb) to the new system and to use use a DE replacement in the new system.

-Power supply - I'm thinking 500w should be plenty with this setup. Something like this (Corsair system bullder 500W 80 Bronze)which I think has been mentioned before: http://www.newegg.co...82E16817139027.

That looks pretty reasonable and 500w gives me a possibility of re purposing it later if needed ..

Really looking forward to hearing your suggestions/thoughts/anything I might have forgotten.

Thanks!

JD

Edited by jd00510

Here is my two cents. First off if you have any desire to run VM's in the future on this box go with the I5. You will do much better in a quad core build than a dual core for virtualizing. If you are not going to use this box for VM, than the I3 will be a great choice. As for motherboards, I am partial to micro-atx as it give better flexibility and mounting ease and all I really need is one slot for the raid card so the extra slots do not do anything for me. Memory choice is fine but if you are using WHS-2011, all you can run is 8 gigs. Personally I would not go with the Corsair system builders supplies. They are good but the cabling is a mess and hard to work with depending on the case you are using. Look at a different Corsair series, Cooler Master, Seasonic for best solution. Something with flat cables or modular.

Motherboard suggestion : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128556

Thanks pcdoc. If I were going to go with the i5, what model would you suggest to best balance price/performance?

Intel's number of the models is entirely confusing these days ... makes keeping them straight very difficult.

Edited by jd00510

Thanks pcdoc. If I were going to go with the i5, what model would you suggest to best balance price/performance?

Intel's number of the models is entirely confusing these days ... makes keeping them straight very difficult.

I agree there are too many. You probably will not go wrong with any of them but stick with the locked versions that support VT-x so you can use in the future if you go with VM's. Here is one that I thought was the best value/performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116506

To support VM's, as well as the on-the-fly transcoding/streaming, I would go with an i5. Like pcdoc said, go with a locked one to get VT-x support.

I also concur on the SeaSonic PSU recommendation.

Since you're going with a rack-mount chassis, I don't think the motherboard format matters all that much. However, if you think you might ever repurpose the mobo, you might want to consider mATX over ATX.