RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jmwills

D-Link Xtreme Gigabit Router (DIR-655/RE) Wireless N300, USB SharePort, Gigabit

ikon

ITTOG I used to have a lot of problems with my Linksys WRT54G router dropping the connection. I figured it was the router and replaced it with a D-Link DIR-655. It worked great for a while and then I went through a period of time where I kept losing my internet connection and having problems. I was about ready to replace it when all my problems disappeared. It appeared to be a problem between my router and my ISP. My ISP made some hardware upgrades and suddenly my connections were solid again.

That's an interesting story. I've never heard of issues between the ISP and client routers.

cskenney

That's an interesting story. I've never heard of issues between the ISP and client routers.

Note sure what else to attribute it too. My ISP company uses a wireless system. I have a radio on the roof of my house. I had been having regular problems and I kept complaining about connection speeds. They would come out and run tests and everything was fine. Finally I got them to bring a new radio (think modem) and once they put it on the house I no longer had any dropped connections or issues.

ikon

Note sure what else to attribute it too. My ISP company uses a wireless system. I have a radio on the roof of my house. I had been having regular problems and I kept complaining about connection speeds. They would come out and run tests and everything was fine. Finally I got them to bring a new radio (think modem) and once they put it on the house I no longer had any dropped connections or issues.

I suspect the issue was really the wireless part of the link rather than the link between your router and the modem/radio. I've done quite a bit or wireless work, particularly backhaul applications, and I can tell you it's much more common for a link to drop because of issues on the wireless part of the link. That said, I did have 1 situation where a link was seriously underperforming because the Ethernet NIC in one of the radio units was doing the Funky Chicken.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Lots of like I will have with the ISP. I may just go get another modem and see if it helps.

Michael Brown

Got mine this afternoon and have it set up as a WAP/switch. It's working flawlessly running a wired security camera and I finally have strong WiFi signals all around the house.

ikon

The only thing I would comment on is using the unit as a switch. Consumer grade wireless routers really don't make very good switches. If you can, I recommend you use a dedicated Ethernet switch and connect the router to it.