RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need help configuring all of my backups.

MarkJohnson

I have decided to donate my microserver to my breother-in-law so I can do an off-site backup and he can use it for local backup.

Now I was wondering how to configure the backups.

Is there a special backup program to do mu;tiple backups? I need a local backup on this machine, then a local backup on my home server, and another on my off-site server.

I do have acronis True Image home. I have a 2009, 2011, 2012 and just purchased a 3-pak of 2013 for $29.99.

I haven't even got 2013 yet, or know what it can do. Hopefully every thing I ask.

But I just really know what everyone else uses for these tasks? I tried using MS backup and had several issues and gave up on it. I have acronis doing an image at creation only and MS backup doing libraries only.

It would be nice to have one simple interface to do it All and sync up like the ipad does.

-=Mark=-

I don't know about 1 interface. I consider OS/Bare Metal backup as something separate from data backup.

In your situation, my tendancy would be to create the local backup using MS Backup and then use RoboCopy to copy the local backup, and my data, to the offsite server, probably over a VPN link to the destination.

I don't do any of this because I have bandwidth caps. However, if you decide to look into it, it might be useful to know that RoboCopy does have the advantage that it will skip any files that are already present on the destination.

A VPN tunnel with the same internal IP Address configuration on the distant end would do the trick with no special software. The Shared Drives on the remote server would appear as locally mapped drives.

There are several ways to do it. If you are going to backup "data" only, you can use a similar approach to what I do except redirect to an offsite server. For data only, WHS and crashplan (using two backup sets) will do the trick. WHS will handle the bare metal restore, and you will have three copies of data. One one the server, one local on a separate drive or computer, and one being sent to an offsite server. Acronis is also great, has a built in sync program, and will do bare metal, but sending offsite is a bit more tricky than Crashplan.

http://thedocsworld.net/backup-strategy/

If you're looking at robocopy then have a look at Teracopy too. It has a free version and I love it. does inline crc checks and is nice n quick. I think that if you pay for it, (Which is only in the order of 20 bucks), you can access a commandline version too, hopefully I'm remembering that correctly.

:)

If you're looking at robocopy then have a look at Teracopy too. It has a free version and I love it. does inline crc checks and is nice n quick. I think that if you pay for it, (Which is only in the order of 20 bucks), you can access a commandline version too, hopefully I'm remembering that correctly.

:)

TeraCopy's a good product alright. I like RoboCopy for these things because it's free, already command line, and is therefor easy to script. Oh, and it's included with Win7, Win8, and all of the flavours of Server 2012.

Yeah I love robocopy for scripting but TeraCopy for it's inbuilt CRC checking, awesome when you want to MOVE something and make sure that it gets there OK. :)

Thanks everyone for your replies. Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but I'm not getting email notifications. I clicked, "Follow this topic" on the side bar, but I thought it was set to automatically notify.

Anyway, I'll look into VPN tunnels and see if I can figure it out by Saturday. I like the Teracopy GUI, but when I searched robocopy it seems a command line interface only. I'd prefer a GUI, as well as, my brother-in-law.

Thanks again

-=Mark=-

Edited by MarkJohnson

You can test robocopy in the command interface and then save that to a script to be run by a scheduled task. Easier than a GUI and a good learning tool.