Hi Guys,
This week we covered;
News and information on Windows Home Server
Add-In MSS Fan Control
Add-In: Directory Watcher
SageTV MediaShrink
Norco 4220 Case
ASoft

Like I said in the comment to the podcast post, I'm going to do a "Using Mediashrink" follow up post. It will explain it a lot better to the masses.

Good show, guys. I'm excited to hear you're setting up the new forum/software. Can't wait to see the results! Thanks for your work on this. We all appreciate it.

eicar! Man, that test has been around forever.

BDBB duplication - Dave's the first one I know using it. Still don't think I'm going to use dup on anything, but this reminds me. I need to set a regular server/BDBB backup schedule. I'll have Google calendar send an email plus a message to my phone.

WHSClamAV Installation was easy enough. I ran it and it picked up an 'infected' winrar executable - worm.palevo. I double-checked with Malwarebytes and MSE. Nothing. This would appear to be a false positive. I see that the settings configuration is not implemented yet. Regarding CPU usage during scan - I saw somewhere around 50% on both cores of the EX495. I look forward to the final version which I bet will work like aces, but for now I've uninstalled. Coincidentally, when I went back into the MediaSmart tab to have a look at CPU usage, I got that very long error message which begins:

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1

I thought the fix was to run a check for HP updates, but I may be thinking of something else. Anyways, I rebooted and that fixed it.

Addminime - I, too, picked this up about a month ago. I like the Run dialog box being right there. I've noticed that System in the Event Log to monitor area of the Configure tab does not stay set. I suppose there are other ways to view those logs. Actually, I see the Event Viewer icon in the taskbar. Also, I just checked the 'Monitor Websites' box. Let's see what that does.

Hi,

WHSClamAV will use all available CPU but it will be limited by the speed of your disks. Also the processes in WHSClamAV/ClamWin/ClamAV run at a configurable priority of 'BelowAverage' this means if your server is doing something else then it will not get in the way CPU wise - disk wise it may.

WHSClamAV is still Beta but I want to make something clear that a lot of people have not picked up and that is I will not be supporting On Access File Scanning. My stance is that Windows Home Server should never be used as a desktop OS and one would not be downloading files from the internet via their Windows Home Server. The scenario I have in mind is that users use their desktop machines to download files to the internet and the ingress of files/data into the home network occurs through client machines with suitable AV/Anti-Malware protection on them. The angle of WHSClamAV is provide an AV solution that be run periodically as a second level of detection and protection.

I do appreciate that scanning the whole of the system does take a considerable amount of time but I am limited by what ClamWin allows me to do - I intend to get in contact with the upstream developers at some point to see if we can improve this but I won't be doing this until I've finished the app. Also when I implement automatic scanning it will be possible to scan different shares on different days - it might not suit everyone but at the moment I'm trying to get a good attempt out the door first.

Feedback and suggestions are always welcome but I realise the forum at http://whsclamav.sourceforge.net isn's the prettist.

All the best,
Al

@Al - Thanks for all your work on this free AV. Very cool. I look forward to the first release. By way of feedback, I'll just say that one of the things I liked was the drop-down list of folders that one could chose to scan. Also, I understand and agree with your stance on On-Access scanning.

I see your point Al. On Access Scanning has it's place. I'm guessing that you heard me ask about Jim's USB drives. No wonder it took 11 hours Jim! I think the low priority scanning is great and scanning different shares each night might help those with slower or larger file systems. I think this Add-In will be popular once released.

Al - Can't say enough thanks for working on this project. I'm a big fan now and look forward to the updates you have coming. Thanks for joining us in the forums as well. It's always good to hear directly from the developer! Best to you!