RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup Times for Computers

joem

My main computer was joined to the domain yesterday. I scheduled full system backup consisting of two hard drives. On for the system and 1 T in size (WD Caviar Black). It has 600 Gigs of data and OS on it. The other drive is a 2 T WD green drive that has 1.1 T of data on it. It started backing up at 3 AM. It is 1 PM now and eleven hours have gone by. It has only backed up 12 per cent according to the progress report. I have all the Gigabit Ether and all that. Seems really slow. Now I see in my server alerts the server is going to restart in one day to finish installing updates! I guess I'm going to have to start my backup again after the server restarts. I can't find an interface on the serverr to delay the restart. By the way it is backing up to two WD Reds at 3 T each in a two way mirror.

If this is the first backup, then I would expect that. You might try turning off the Windows Update Service which "might" delay that restart.

The first backup took about a day and a half. All subsequent backups are taking about ten minutes.

Wow. My first backups never took more than five or six hours.

It all depends on how much data you have. If you read the my post you will see there is a lot of data there. Maybe it has something to do with the mirror on the server.

It all depends on how much data you have. If you read the my post you will see there is a lot of data there. Maybe it has something to do with the mirror on the server.

Exactly, the amount of data is the critical point. Other things are important but, all other things being equal, the amount of data is the most important factor.

The amount of data is critical but also the number of files. One file of say 100 gigs will backup quicker than 10000 files of the same total size.