RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rensul

3 New Win8 PCs, 3 Repeated Failed WHS2011 Backups

Rensul

I bought 2 Dell XPS 8500s and a Samsung All-In-One PC and so far all 3 give me the "An error prevented backup from creating a snapshot of the volumes on this computer". This is happening before and after the most recent Update Rollup and connector client updates. My other PCs still connect fine to WHS2011 - in fact the release preview of Windows 8 backed up fine as well. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

jmwills

What do the error logs and Event Viewers show?

jcollison

I just rolled my HP 310 All in One (Win8) onto my WHS2011 on the 11th and it has backed up 3 times (1 manual and 2 Auto) will success. Any changes in the network recently? Are you sure the client backup service is running correctly on the WHS

Rensul

Thanks for everyone's input. Diehard - you nailed it - it's a GPT issue. All of the disks are partitioned with GPT. I'm pretty shocked - there's really no alternative to get these PCs onto WHS2011. Need to look at alternatives going forward... Thanks for the input - Rensul

gcoupe

Microsoft has supposedly got a fix in the works for the GPT issue that may be included in a future Software Update Rollup. It's disappointing that it wasn't included in the recent Rollup; after all, I understand that it's been fixed for WS2012E.