RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Wierd HTPC Boot Error Problem

ImTheTypeOfGuy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have been working on upgrading my HTPC hard drive situation. Yesterday it had an SSD for the OS, a 1TB drive for all data and recorded TV, and a 2TB drive for more recorded TV. Note that the 1 TB drive has my personal folders redirected to the 1 TB drive. Today, it has the same drives, plus five 3TB drives in RAID5 using a Highpoint RR 2720. In this setup it works fine. However, whenever I remove the 1TB drive I get a Boot error. The setup is in my signature and has the gigabyte board.

Do you think the problem could be because of my personal folders being redirected to the 1TB drive? Doesn't make sense that it would cause problems with the boot up. Could it be a setting in the BIOS? If so, what setting?

I'm wondering what Disk Mangler says. In particular, what are the settings on the 1 TB drive (is it Boot, System, Active, etc.)? How do they compare with the settings on the SSD.

Often, in such situations. to really narrow the variables, I break it down to basics: disconnect all the drives except the SSD (including removing the 2720) and see if it will boot. If not, add one drive at a time, starting with the 1 TB.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Go into the BIOS and check the Boot order

I looked in BIOS and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I don't believe the 1TB drive was even listed. HOwever the GigaByte BIOS is very different from most BIOS' I have useed so I could be overlooking it. Right now my array is rebuilding so I can't get into the BIOS tonight as it has five more hours.

I'm wondering what Disk Mangler says. In particular, what are the settings on the 1 TB drive (is it Boot, System, Active, etc.)? How do they compare with the settings on the SSD.

Often, in such situations. to really narrow the variables, I break it down to basics: disconnect all the drives except the SSD (including removing the 2720) and see if it will boot. If not, add one drive at a time, starting with the 1 TB.

Disk Manager indicates Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition). On the SSD it is Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition). Both show online.

I did take it down to just one drive, the SSD, and it wouldn't boot. I then added the 1TB drive and then it would boot and go into Windows without any problems.

I want others to concur, but my read is that there are 2 problems; the 1 TB is marked System and Active. That's a problem. By any chance, did you have the 1 TB installed in the system when you installed the OS?

First thing I would try is to mark the SSD as Active. See if that works.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Usually I only have the OS drive installed when I begin installing but it is possible I forgot since the OS drive was replacing one that died.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I haven't had time to resolve the boot issue yet but I do have everything else finished.

2012-12-13T21-27-14_0.jpg?psid=1

More pictures are in the link. I am using a Silverstone HTPC case and it has 12TB's for recording. So excited to not have to chase drive space for a while!

http://sdrv.ms/XZqann