RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Did a 12/11/12 Windows Update break remotewebaccess.com SSTP VPN?

Jason

Perhaps a coincidence but it appears one of the many Windows Updates installed overnight has rendered my WS2012e server.remotewebaccess.com VPN tunnel inoperable. Has anyone else experienced this? Would hate to have to restore from a server backup if it can be avoided.

Thanks.

EDIT: for anyone else who encountered this issue, it was necessary for me to REPAIR the Anywhere Access on WS2012E to resolve this issue. Once completed, I could once again establish a SSTP VPN connection to the server.

Edited by Jason

I installed everything except for the UR4 and mine is working.

Sorry, I was referring to WS2012E. UR4 was for WHS2011 only, correct?

Probably so. There were some Root Certificate updates and I was initially thinking that might have been some of the issue. Just make sure your Port Forwarding entries are to a static/reserved address and you should be okay,

Perhaps a coincidence but it appears one of the many Windows Updates installed overnight has rendered my WS2012e server.remotewebaccess.com VPN tunnel inoperable. Has anyone else experienced this? Would hate to have to restore from a server backup if it can be avoided.

Thanks.

EDIT: for anyone else who encountered this issue, it was necessary for me to REPAIR the Anywhere Access on WS2012E to resolve this issue. Once completed, I could once again establish a SSTP VPN connection to the server.

I guess it's good news that the service was repairable.

I think it's an unfortunate happening rather than an actual bug. I restarted my WS2012E box last night for Patch Tuesday, and just tested, and my Anywhere Access is fine.

I'm using a CACert.org certificate, and a registered domain redirected via Dynamic DNS through my router, with the appropriate ports forwarded to the NIC of my server.

Edited by LoneWolf

UPDATE - for anyone else encountering this issue, it can be rectified by completely re-configuring Anywhere Access on your WS2012E box. Not just a repair, but start from scratch. I did not have to revert back to a server backup or re-install the OS.

Out of curiosity, were your clients joined to the domain?

No. The 2 clients accessing the VPN were not joined to the domain. However they were both able to connected to the WS2012E VPN without issue prior to the 12/12/12 patch Tuesday. Since then, they can still connect fine only not until after I've REPAIRED the Anywhere Access after each reboot. Odd to say the least.