RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Browse Shares As Guest

Mastiha

I just upgraded from WHS 2011 so I'm just trying to find my way around WSE 2012. A problem I've come across is that I am unable to browse the shares like I did with WHS 2011 (read only). The reason I use to do this is I have a folder with all my ripped DVD's on the server and I use WD TV Live Streaming to browse to the DVD folder on the network and it was able to play the DVD's. How can I do this again?

Try enabling the Guest account and then giving Guest access to only the shares you need. Be aware, enabling the Guest account is a security risk.

If I understand your issue correctly. Open the Dashboard, go to settings and enable Media Sharing. You will now have new folders for music, Video, etc. Just drop your video files into the Video folder. I have done this and it play all formats I have hit it with so far. Works great! On my Sony Bluray player it recognizes the server as a DLNA device and I can browser all the folders. You will be able to do the same on that WD device you have too.

I also tested the Remote Web Access to these folder and it streams the video very nicely.

If at all possible, I'd avoid enabling the Guest account - as ikon rightly says it's a bit of a security hole.

You should be able to do the same thing though by giving the built-in Everyone account read-only access to the shared folder. You'll probably have to do this from the security tab on the folder properties dialog box.

If I understand your issue correctly. Open the Dashboard, go to settings and enable Media Sharing. You will now have new folders for music, Video, etc. Just drop your video files into the Video folder. I have done this and it play all formats I have hit it with so far. Works great! On my Sony Bluray player it recognizes the server as a DLNA device and I can browser all the folders. You will be able to do the same on that WD device you have too.

I also tested the Remote Web Access to these folder and it streams the video very nicely.

Duh! Good point joem. Shoulda thought of it myself. That's definitely a better way to do it.

Create a new folder for that purpose.

Share Permissions set for Everyone to Full

Security Permissions set to Everyone to Read Only

This will solve your issue. The Share Name can be anything.

Create a new folder for that purpose.

Share Permissions set for Everyone to Full

Security Permissions set to Everyone to Read Only

This will solve your issue. The Share Name can be anything.

Wait a second. Isn't Everyone permission only going to work for domain accounts? Don't you need to enable Guest access for something like a WD TV to browse it, unless of course you put the files into the in-built shares, like jem101 said?

Wait a second. Isn't Everyone permission only going to work for domain accounts? Don't you need to enable Guest access for something like a WD TV to browse it, unless of course you put the files into the in-built shares, like jem101 said?

"Everyone" is everyone which is different than "Authenticated Users" within a Domain.