RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Essentials 2012 or Router to handle DHCP?

Stealth

Yeah, Theoretically, the role should just install... but 2012 added "issues". On SBS2011E, it will install just fine, no errors. But the DHCP server will shut down if it finds a DHCP server on the network.

The best bet to set up the network, is to set up a static IP address for the server, (you'll have to anyhow, for DHCP to work), then disable DHCP on your router, and then install the role on your server.

• Like 1

All of this is fine as long as you (or someone you trust) have physical access to the server. A power outage would render the clients unable to move traffic if the server did not come back up.

It would be good to ensure your server's BIOS is set to restart when the AC comes back on after a power failure. I have this set on my Untangle UTM. Have to check if my WHS is set to do it. Then there's the issue of whether my CyberPower UPS will actually repower my WHS after AC comes back on.

Thank you for all your replies…

Sorry for the delay in posting back. I have been distracted trying to migrate all my data from WHS V1 and then converting my family to a Domain. What a bloody job! I just need to get remote access and my website back up next, then I can kill WHS V1!

Reading the posts, I’m still not sure if I should move DHCP to the server from my router. Currently my router is on a small UPS so if power or the server was to go down then my mobile devices would still get internet access.

Is it a big deal leaving the router to handle DHCP with a separate Exchange Server on the Domain?

Thanks Steve

Not a big deal but, to me, there is a potential issue with your Domain clients. The clients need to have your server as their DNS server for he Domain to function at 100%. If your router's DHCP server can't be set to give out your Domain Controller's IP as the DNS server it could cause issues for your clients. This is my experience anyway. Perhaps others can offer other advice.