RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client PC Backup Fails at 1%

The Jason

That's interesting about the system reserved partition. But I would try to resolve this. If your hard disk fails and you have to restore to a new fresh hard drive you will need to restore that reserved partition. My systems don't have that system reserved partition so I don't have any experience trying to resolve that issue. When I install an OS I install all on one partition. But that is another matter. But if push comes to shove and you want to reinstall I'll provide the instructions for installing all on one partition. If you don't want to do that then you can save this information for future reference.

I will probably start doing this from now on. However, I seem to have resolved the issue by:

1. giving the system reserved partition a drive letter

2. running chkdsk on it

3. rebooting

4. remove drive letter

5. re-add the system reserved to the backup and it completed with no problems.

Thanks for the help.

It is possible that despite it saying 1% done, the backup may not even have started properly. I would check to see if there are any issues with the volume shadow copy subsystem on the PC in question. Check the event log and also open an command prompt (I don't think it needs to have elevated rights) and type in

VSS LIST WRITERS

It will produce a list of all of the VSS writers currently setup on the PC and also if they are properly functioning or are in an error or not ready state. If any are then that will need to be addressed first - it's often just a case of reregistering them.

And in the process of typing this up, I see you have resolved it anyway.

Edited by jem101

If I recall correctly, Windows 8 creates the small hidden partition 350 meg, as active, meaning that when the PC boots, it goes to that partition 1st, then Windows 8 boots. If your missing that partition on a drive that is being restored, the PC will not boot.

Unlike Windows 7, which creates a 100 meg partition, Windows sets the C:\ partition as active, even if your missing the hidden partition, your still good. Someone please confirm.

If you some reason there is not enough free space on the hidden partition, the backup will fail. I don't know how stuff gets added to that hidden partition. The same is true if your system drive ( C:\) does not have enough free space, the backup will fail.

On the Win7 laptop I'm using to write this, the 100MB hidden partition is marked System, Active, Primary. The C:\ partition is marked Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary. Based on this, I would say that the hidden partition is rather essential to booting the system.

Items get added to that hidden partition if Bitlocker is implemented.

As a test I took system of Windows 7 Pro and deleted the 100 MB partition. It would not boot as a consequence.

This is why on all my installs I don't install with a hidden partition. It is just one more variable to become a possible issue.

The VSS account is not needed on the client (IMO) is you have data being backed up to the server. Run your VSS copies there.