RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS v1 Replacement?

foy1der

Morning folks,

I'm having issues with my whsv1 box. I am having hard drives disconnect from the server at seemingly random times. So far I have RMAed 3 hard drives because I could not reproduce the issue with a disconnecting hard drive on another computer. Shutting down the server and restarting does not fix the issue. I have to shut it down, open the box and disconnect the power and SATA cables, and plug them back in to fix it.

Hard drive list:

1. 2TB WD Black
  2. 2TB WD Red
  3. 2TB WD Red
  4. 2TB Hitachi 7200RPM
  5. 1TB Samsung 7200 RPM
  6. 1TB WD Black
  7. 1TB WD Black
  8. 1TB Seagate 7200 RPM

I don't have a whole lot of time to troubleshoot things, so I am thinking that I should just start over. I currently have 2 "desktop" computers. One is the server, and the other is my HTPC. The server is a repurposed Dell Dimension 5150 (Intel P4 630, 4 GB DDR2, OCZ 500w PSU, SATA addon card, and a bunch of HD's). The HTPC is home built (Gigabyte EP45-UD3R, E-8400, 4GB DDR2, Radeon HD4870, 120GB SSD).

Here comes the question, if I were to build something new, what should I replace? I have a case laying around, so my total investment for a Core i3 rig would be about $200. Very easy for the accounting department to sign off on.

Lastly, I'm not sure that I want to deal with WHS anymore. I keep my DVD collection on my server, that is about 2.1TB. So I have enough drives to make a RAID array to hold all the drives, but I'm not sure I want to deal with complicated things. I almost feel like I am leaning toward something like FreeNAS or UnRAID. Perhaps use something like Acronis to do backups?

I know that I am crossing almost every subforum here from HTPCs WHS v1, perhaps v2, as wells as hardware, so if you mods can find a better home for me, please do.

If I have forgotten anything, let me know and I will give you some more info.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• foy1der

• jmwills

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

For now, if it were me, I'd still go with WHS 2011. This is an amazingly stable product and for $50.....a no brainer.

For now, if it were me, I'd still go with WHS 2011. This is an amazingly stable product and for $50.....a no brainer.

Given my data needs, would you consider RAID a requirement?

You're symptoms are pretty strange. Can we make sure it really is necessary to unplug and plug the SATA cables? When you shut down the server, are you actually unplugging it from the wall?

With your drives, you could have two. And yes, go with a dedicated RAID card. To what ikon said, you could have a failing MOBO or that addon card is bad.

You're symptoms are pretty strange. Can we make sure it really is necessary to unplug and plug the SATA cables? When you shut down the server, are you actually unplugging it from the wall?

Yes.

With your drives, you could have two. And yes, go with a dedicated RAID card. To what ikon said, you could have a failing MOBO or that addon card is bad.

The drive in question SEEMS to be connected to the SATA addon card. But I had this issue a few years ago and I replaced the card with a different brand and chipset. Maybe I should replace all my SATA cables with higher quality locking cables?

OK, if you're unplugging the server from the wall long enough for the residual power to dissipate, then I'm thinking you've got either a power or hardware issue.

I'm wondering if you need a bigger PSU.

OK, if you're unplugging the server from the wall long enough for the residual power to dissipate, then I'm thinking you've got either a power or hardware issue.

I'm wondering if you need a bigger PSU.

Not all those hard drives are plugged in. I have the 4-2TB drives and 2-1TB drives, 1-1TB drive is in an external enclosure.

Wouldn't power be an issue mainly at spinup?

It's true that powerup is typically when systems experience the greatest power draw. And since you have only 6 drives actually connected, it seems unlikely that the PSU, assuming it's a brand name unit in good working order, would be the issue.

That would leave the mobo, or more likely, the SATA add-in card(s). If you can establish that it's definitely the drives attached to add-in cards that are having the issue, then it seems logical to focus in on them.

If it does appear to be the add-in cards, then you might want to look into other cards, perhaps brand name ones from HighPoint and other top tier manufacturers.