RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Setup Anywhere Access

joem

I have two questions. I have some home versions of Windows 7 and a couple of Windows 7 Pro versions that I will use the registry hack to be able to connect them to the server without joining the domain. If I connect a client computer to the server without joining the domain will the computer be able to log on to remote access services such as remote desktop, shared folders, etc. via https://domain.remoteaccess.com? Also on a test server I went through the Anywhere access wizard. Everything appears to be fine. I can go to the https://domain/remoteaccess.com and log on to computers and shared folders. Now my question is this. I went through this wizard using the Microsoft domain scheme and I never got a prompt for a SSL certificate for vpn and all that. What am I missing here? Is this a secure method? And is there any services I would be missing using the Microsoft method? Possibly this is all automated if one uses the Microsoft domain route. Thanks.

Hey joem. If you're using HTTPS then you're using SSL, which is a secure connection. It's not the same as a VPN, as a VPN actually makes the remote computer part of the LAN, but it is secure.

I have part of this figured out. No for a Home version of Windows to use Remote Desktop through Remote Access, but can browse the folders. When configuring Setup Access Anywhere Wizard, it will not setup VPN because I don't have an SSL certificate I am presuming? The Microsoft web setup for Anywhere access provides SSL without the certificate. Again I am presuming that also. Otherwise I can log on to the http://servername/remotewebaccess.com site for remote services. Still unanswered is if I can use the Remote Desktop service with a Windows 7 Pro box that is connected to the server without actually joining the domain.

Thanks Icon, but how come the vpn won't configure when I run the Setup Anyware Access wizard? I get the Romote Access feature bur a failure on the VPN portion. I get error failure for the vpn part. If you need pictures or more information let me know. Thanks!

Thanks Icon, but how come the vpn won't configure when I run the Setup Anyware Access wizard? I get the Romote Access feature bur a failure on the VPN portion. I get error failure for the vpn part. If you need pictures or more information let me know. Thanks!

Is port 1723 open on the router and forwarded to the server?

@joem, when it comes to VPN these days, jmwills is probably the best resource on these forums.

@jmwills, haven't you used VPN between the USA and Korea?

Actually I don't think you need 1723 open on the router as that is the port for PPTP VPN connections. As far as I know the Anywhere Access part makes use of SSL VPN tunnels so you should only need 443 open and forwarding.

Yes the server is configured as a certification authority using a GoDaddy certificate I believe - one of the reasons why its very difficult to rename the server after setup, cert authorities really, really don't like that.

Yes there is no reason why any PC domain joined or not shouldn't be able to RDP onto the server - I guess that's what you meant? In fact I use a Mac at home which certainly isn't a proper domain member, it does have the connector software installed - not that it's much use though and I regularly use that to RDP onto my servers.

I think we'll need some screen shots etc. and hopefully we can see what's going wrong with your setup

John

Yes. I used the built-in features of the Tomato router so what was on the network in Korea appeared as locally mapped drives here in the States.