RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Member / New Build - [Will include pics]

NathanJ89

So I've decided to go ahead and try to build my own WHS. I wanted to create a forum post to hold everything to do with the build as I've built computers before but I might need help when it comes to the server side. So here goes....

Pre-Build Questions

Does WHS let me add drives as I acquire them? Or do I have to buy all the drives first?

Build Components

TBA

Build Progress

TBA

Hello and welcome.

That's hard to answer because we do not know how you intend to configure your storage. With a RAID5 setup, either based on the MOBO or a dedicated card, you can added drives of the same size as needed. With one of the Drive Extender replacements such as Drive Bender or in Server 2012 (not WHS 2011) use can use Storage spaces to configure a storage solution composed of mixed capacity drives.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome.

That's hard to answer because we do not know how you intend to configure your storage. With a RAID5 setup, either based on the MOBO or a dedicated card, you can added drives of the same size as needed. With one of the Drive Extender replacements such as Drive Bender or in Server 2012 (not WHS 2011) use can use Storage spaces to configure a storage solution composed of mixed capacity drives.

I asked the question to one to answer and two to find out how I will need to configure the server. I basically want to set up the server with say 4 x 2tb drives and add more later, I want to be able to expand later down the line. I don't know much but I think with raid 5 I need at least 3 drives?

To get started all you really need is two drives, regardless of which OS you use. One is for the OS and the other is for data. With that said, I think jmwills posed his response as he did because it would be better to do some up front planning even if you don't buy all the drives immediately.

Most of us have a smaller drive for the OS; I think I have a 160 or 320 GB. Yes raid 5 requires a minimum of three drives and it is best they are all the same size.

• Like 1

Nathan:

Based on that info, I would steer you towards 3 x 3TB drives which would net you the same net storage from a RAID 5 setup. This would save some internal case space and on some power requirements. For the OS, I would go with a 160GIG SSD which would handle any of the new MS server platforms. Now, the decision would be on how to continue with the storage configuration.

Based on that info, I would steer you towards 3 x 3TB drives which would net you the same net storage from a RAID 5 setup. This would save some internal case space and on some power requirements. For the OS, I would go with a 160GIG SSD which would handle any of the new MS server platforms. Now, the decision would be on how to continue with the storage configuration.

Thanks to both you, now you've reasured me its possible I will start to look for the hard drives. I would then be able to add other 3tb drives to the array in the future which I'm happy about.

I have some consumer components i can use from a pc i built a few years ago, i'm going to purchase a new case. Considering my situation of wanting to add more drives later on would it be worth considering buying a dedicated raid card or use the sata ports on the motherboard?? If a dedicated card is suggested any sugguestion for me to look at?.

If you are looking for a new case, I would suggest the Fractal Arc Midi which has 8 internal drive bays and is selling for a great price of $49.99 at NewEgg. Remember, you can only extend the array with same size drives. I would go with a dedicated card which would make it easier to move the array in case of a MOBO failure. The High Point RocketRaid 2720 is a favorite among forum members.

For the drives, look at Western Digital 3TB Reds.

I'm based in the UK so ill have to find a place to buy the raid card or equivalent.

Cheers for the case recommendation. I appreciate all the advice sometimes it just takes someone advice to tell you it's good! :-)

Yeh I have the fractal design define Xl I was gnna buy another one for the server it holds 10 drives but still not sure.