RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Access Anywhere using Dynamic DNS?

LoneWolf

I have several free domains through DynDNS.org. I was hoping to use one of them for Access Anywhere in Server 2012 Essentials. Has anyone here done this, and how has it worked for you?

My router supports Dynamic DNS, and I can port forward traffic if necessary. I kind of got stuck at the point where the AA wizard asked for an SSL certificate, as I don't have one, and it appears I'd have to pay money for one, which I really don't want to do.

Has anyone seen a good article on the poor man's way to do this? I also do have one spare domain name registered through Name.com I could use, but I don't have a static IP (which was why I was thinking of using DynDNS), and Microsoft only has two native registrars they support without setting things up manually (Name.com isn't one of them).

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• jem101

• LoneWolf

Top Posters In This Topic

You can look into creating a self-signed certificate. However, I don't know if WSE2012 will accept self-signed. Also, how about the MS homeserver.com domain. I know it works for RDP and Remote Web Access, but I'm not sure if that's different from Access Anywhere.

2012 Essentials doesn't support the homeserver.com domain, IIRC. Just the remotewebaccess.com one. Which is free, comes with a free GoDaddy SSL certificate, and uses it's own Dynamic DNS updater. Same as WHSv1, WHS2011, and SBS2011E. :)

I setup a sub domain on my own domain to forward to the free remotewebaccess.com account you get with 2012E. However if you try to use the remote access it fails as the certificate is setup for the free remotewebaccess.com account. It was worth a try. Not sure how I would get around this though to get it working.

If I go directly to the remotewebaccess site it works just fine.

I setup a sub domain on my own domain to forward to the free remotewebaccess.com account you get with 2012E. However if you try to use the remote access it fails as the certificate is setup for the free remotewebaccess.com account. It was worth a try. Not sure how I would get around this though to get it working.

That, unfortunately, makes sense.

yeah, they're not wildcard certificates. :( Which is what you need if you want to do that. And to set up a different domain as microsoft doesn't support it. Also.... it's not cheap. RapidSSL is a *cheap* SSL cert issuer, from what I've seen, and here is their price *per* *year*:

http://www.rapidssl.com/buy-ssl/wildcard-ssl-certificate/index.html

You would have to use alternate ports for the second domain, and forward those also.

That is definitely one option. HOwever, I personally prefer using sub-folders. /blog /subsonic /sabnzbd etc. But then again, I'm using ARR to reverse proxy sites... I was opening additional ports, but I don't like opening more ports than I absolutely have to.

The price of certificates is rediculous for home users. I think there needs to be a different category for non-commercial applications. Self-signed certs filled that role in the past (sort of: they're absurdly difficult to use in practice, and also seem to be very unreliable). I've been waiting for MS of some other large corporation to offer such a service on, basically, a non-profit basis.