RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
rothgar

eSATA JBOD or case recommendations

rothgar

I'm looking to replace my HP MediaSmart ex485 with something bigger and more flexible I have been running Amahi on the MediaSmart server for a couple years now and am looking to build my own NAS and continue running Amahi.

I have two options, buy a case designed to hold a lot of hard drives or buy an eSATA enclosure that supports JBOD.

I'm looking to either spend <$150 on a case (I'd have to buy components) or $300 on a JBOD enclosure + eSATA PCIe card and use an existing desktop. Some of the external enclosure reviews look bad for reliability so I'm curious what you would recommend.

If I get a case or enclosure I would want a minimum of 5 drive bays and am not too concerned about noise.

Please let me know your experience with cases and enclosures and if you have any recommendations for specific hardware I should look at.

Thank you

jmwills

How about a Drobo?

cskenney

How about a Microserver? Technically you start with 5 bays (4 + ODD bay). We now know the eSata port can do port multiplication so you have room to expand.

jmwills

Yea, that would work. Just trying to show Collison some Drobo love :)

rothgar

How about a Drobo?

Drobo is a bit expensive and to my knowledge doesn't support JBOD disk arrays. The point of Amahi is the storage pooling with greyhole and since all my data is already in greyhole i'd like to keep it that way.

How about a Microserver? Technically you start with 5 bays (4 + ODD bay). We now know the eSata port can do port multiplication so you have room to expand.

A microserver was on my list of things to look at but I wanted something a bit more powerful so I could run a VM (or two) on the host machine along with the NAS. The synology systems look nice too but are too expensive.

cskenney

For external eSATA enclosures I would look at the Lian-Li EX-503: http://www.lian-li.c...42&ss_index=115. I have 2 of them and they are great.

How is this an eSata enclosure? Isn't it USB 3.0?

EDIT: Now that I am at a PC (instead of my phone) I can see the specs. And yes, eSata is listed. Sorry about that Ikon!

ikon

How is this an eSata enclosure? Isn't it USB 3.0?

EDIT: Now that I am at a PC (instead of my phone) I can see the specs. And yes, eSata is listed. Sorry about that Ikon!

No problem. I knew they have eSATA because I have 2 of them :)