RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
diehard

New HP ProLiant MicroServer N54L Models On the Way

LoneWolf

Looking at the prices, I'm glad I got an N40L. That appears to be quite the price hike if all you get is a CPU clock-speed increase. No extra cache on the N54L, no extra features.

I'd pay that quickly if it included one of the upcoming low-power Ivy Bridge Gen2 "Y-series" CPUs.

http://techreport.com/news/24019/specs-leak-for-13w-10w-ivy-bridge-cpus

jmwills

$$$ x 2 if I remember correctly.

Joe_Miner

The list price looks to be about $40 more over a N40L machine.~

If you check Passmark the N40L is a 970 and the Passmark for the N54L is about 23% higher at 1189. Compared to the N36L with a Passmark of 805 it's a 48% jump.

ikon

If it's only the CPU then it hardly seems worth the extra $$$. That is, in my view, a big mistake by HP.

a15457

'Ken Oath! They could have and should have done so much more! 7 x USB 3.0 for a start! buggers!

ikon

If you check Passmark the N40L is a 970 and the Passmark for the N54L is about 23% higher at 1189. Compared to the N36L with a Passmark of 805 it's a 48% jump.

OK, I thought it was a lot more. Some people were seeming to indicate more like $200. At that price difference I would go for the N54L.

LoneWolf

However, with the current discounts on the N40L, it's probably way below list. At this point, it probably isn't a $40 difference. Mine was $289 with a free 2GB extra memory module. Several weeks later, it went down for a bit to $259 without the extra memory module (which would have been a better deal for me yet). I'm betting that prior to Christmas, we'll see one more sale.

I'd like to see HP provide an official BIOS similar to the modded one we see here (adding port multiplier to the SATA port, etc.). I'd like to see jumbo frames support on the NIC, and I'd like to see an updated firmware for the optional Remote Access Controller card, which hasn't been updated since 2010. Also, HP should be providing better driver support for AHCI on the mainboard and the VGA on the RAC (as opposed to redirecting to third parties).

Those are all easier to do than my real wish list (a little more onboard cache for the AMD CPU, or a low-power Ivy Bridge chip like the ones coming out early next year). Within this price range, I understand limits, and the bonus of not many changes is that the updated BIOS code should work on the older systems. I hope to see HP work a little on the small bits and provide more polish to an existing product line; that's what would really make the N54L model worth paying for.

Unless that happens though, I'll consider my N40L to have been a much better value.