RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Avast - a tricky unistall

dvn

I was moving some movie files around on my server and getting a message that the files were opened by another program. So of course I couldn't move them. I figured Avast was the culprit. I had just installed it a few days ago. So I went to delete the add-in from Console, but got a fatal error message. Then I tried Add/Remove Programs, but saw the same thing. I did some poking around in the Avast forums which steered me to a separate uninstall utility on Avast's site - aswclear5.exe. I ran that, but had a bit of trouble. It was asking that I go into Avast's setting and disable 'self-protection'. I did, but the utility still failed. I rebooted and reran the utility. This time it worked. I'm reporting this as an fyi in case anyone else runs into this.

*Note to self: stop doing these add-in tests on your production box. :)

I recently ran the utility myself. Luckily saw the tip to disable self-protection and everything worked. Now just waiting for the 5.0 upgrade.

Yes. Well, here's a bit of an update. Turns out that Avast was not the program which had the movie files open. I'll have to dig into this more deeply.

I have been using Avast since its release on several servers and it is the buggiest intall/uninstall I have seen to date. The only way I successfully install it is using the exe version not the msi. If you have installed it using the msi version, try re-installing it using the exe and then uninstall from the control panel. That works "most" of the time. Your success will be better if you stay away from MSI console install in the first place. Nice program but the crapiest install I have seen to date.

pcdoc - I would agree with you. One of the reasons I stopped using it was the bugginess of the application on install or uninstall. Think I might have even said that in a past podcast?

When I looked in the virus vault for my WHS 3 files were there. TeraCopy Pro.exe which is a clean file and 2 system files, 3 false positives in all. My subscription is up in November, debating about continuing past then?

Have not had any false positives it has picked up a couple of viruses that have been in my file archieve fro a while so no complaints on effectiveness, just the part that seems like it should be the easiest, install and removal. Go figure, you can write fairly complex software effectively but can't write an install program. That said I am keeping mine till something better comes along as I am a believer in some form of AV but I do wish they would make something better.

jcollison

No I have not. Only recently heard of it on the podcast. I got the impression is a work in progress and would be ready for prime time soon. Is it worth trying?