RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Alex.Covecube

Successfully Enabled Port Multiplier on eSATA

ikon

I think both options are viable. To access the drives in JBOD mode by attaching the Sans Digital box to the rear eSATA port, you would have to install the modded BIOS. It reveals the setting that allows you to enable Port Multiplication.

OTOH, an add-in card would allow you to have Port Multiplication without modding the MicroServer's BIOS, but you would have to install the card's driver. At least, I haven't run into an eSATA card that can do Port Multiplication without a driver.

BTW, some people have been able to access BIOS/firmware updates on the HP site by knowing the FTP address. You have to know the name of the file you want as far as I can tell.

Joe_Miner

Check the Links threads ("hardware links" and "More interesting links") for the MicroServers.  The info or links to info you are looking for is probably there.

RacerX

Just an update

I was testing out some other OS's on N54L and I accidently changed the boot sequence from ACHI to IDE so I lost the esata multiplier for a while. Today I was testing it out so I went to the amd site and downloaded the lastest

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows+7+-+32

In modded bios I changed the chipset settting  4/5 IDE to "disable" and then rebooted, when it booted I coud see ACHI was working agian and then the multiplier started up.  So  with WHS2011 it works fine

AMD Chipset Drivers 50 MB 15.7.1 7/29/2015

nrf

Well, of course, there is only so much bandwidth available on the link, so it has to be shared by all the requests.

while this is true, if there are spinning drives sharing the link, there should be plenty of capacity to share, right? A 7200 rpm drive isn't going to be able to saturate even sata I speed...

GotNoTime

while this is true, if there are spinning drives sharing the link, there should be plenty of capacity to share, right? A 7200 rpm drive isn't going to be able to saturate even sata I speed...

7200rpm drives when reading sequential data easily exceed the SATA I 150MB/s capacity. Even 5400rpm drives can peak at > 150MB/s. Look at the reviews for the Seagate Barracuda drives or the WD Black drives. They're both 7200rpm drives. Edited by GotNoTime

nrf

this may be while emptying the drive's buffer/cache but in average I have tested multiple 7200 rpm drives on sata3 interfaces and they don't even hit 133 mB/sec. A peak of 150 mB/sec is still 1.2 gbit/sec. Sata3 is really for the SSDs!

Edited by nrf

Notbugged

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a limitation with the SB850 to how many drives may be connected via the eSata port.

I'd like to connect an external 8-bay-JBOD enclosure to my N40L (i.e., 8 separate drives visible to the OS), but I am concerned that the chip set is not designed to allow that. A manufacturers FAQ, that I've come across, seemed to imply that there are port multiplier capable chip sets that only support up to 5 disks. Has anyone tried something in that direction by chance? Post #85 comes close to a confirmation, but describes the usage of two disks only.

Thank you in advance!

karmantyu

I've 6 drives in my N40, have a PCI-E SATA card for 2 additional SSD drives in it, plus an USB3 card for external drives. The BIOS handling everything correctly so I assume the limit is around 128 or 256 drives but don't forget the N40's processing power and bandwith to calculate in. :)

rotu

Thanks for all the great information. I have everything set up but the transfer speeds between the microserver disks and the TR4M+BNC are really slow... like barely 3 mbs/sec. I originally had this set up for whs 2011 and have recently got it running with win 10 pro. And since this change, and the bios mod hacks, the transfer speeds are really slow. What can I do to speed up the transfer speeds I was seeing when it was running whs 2011? I have this AMD SATA Driver: 3/29/2015 ver 1.2.1.402. Any additional help appreciated. Thanks.

rt

aussie_mark

G'day All

Thanks to this post I've successfully enabled the port multiplier on my N54L.

I'll pass on my findings, it may help others.

The internal sata port can also be hooked to a port multiplier. I picked up a 5 port multiplier card from ebay based on a JMB321 chip which is hooked to a 4 x 2.5" cage that sits in the optical drive bay. I can boot from the cage, (trial & error to find the boot slot) and then access all drives once the os has loaded. I don't know if both the internal sata and the esata port can be hooked to multipliers at the same time.

windows server 2012 R2 has the driver need for the AMD chipset build in, but it doesn't load during install. you need to go to device manager, select IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. open the controller, select driver, select update driver, browser my computer for driver software, let me pick from list (manual search), uncheck show compatible hardware, scroll right to the top, select AMD, (save, ok or next) and when you've restarted, you should have full access to the drives on the multiplier.

Mark