RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
capall

WD Red 2TB $109 on amazon?

jmwills

Reviews.....(getting on soapbox). How many times do you go to a site to post a positive review versus going there to voice your frustration? I'd bet it's a 5:1 ratio. If you take the time to read the negative reviews, some are hysterical and make for light reading.

ikon

Reviews.....(getting on soapbox). How many times do you go to a site to post a positive review versus going there to voice your frustration? I'd bet it's a 5:1 ratio. If you take the time to read the negative reviews, some are hysterical and make for light reading.

You, my friend, have a very positive opinion of your fellow man. I would have said the ratio is more like 50:1. :)

LoneWolf

For what it's worth, Western Digital is the last HDD company with a reasonable end-user RMA policy. Nobody else offers advance replacement any more, or at least not without a charge.

Also, I've found Seagate warranty and quality control have declined in recent years, at least on consumer drives. The Reds have better warranties. I just purchased a 2TB and a 3TB. The 2TB is coexisting nicely in a RAID-5 array with three Samsung HD204UI 2TB drives (which I can't buy anymore, Seagate bought Samsung and replaced this model with one of their own that I've heard complaints about), and the 3TB is in an external enclosure for backup.

Finally, if you have a real RAID controller, the Reds support TLER (Time-Limited Error Recovery) which is important in a RAID configuration. I don't know of Seagate offering that until you get to an enterprise SATA drive line like the Constellations, which cost more.

NewEgg had the 2TB on sale for $109, I bought it, and they cancelled it when they ran out. They had them back in stock in under 24 hours and told me I could buy it again for $20 more (I've been a customer for over a decade, and have spent plenty with them). I bought it for $10 more at Amazon, and bought my 3TB there as well for $149 on Cyber-Monday sale.

Edited by LoneWolf

ikon

Indeed, TLER is one of the plusses for Reds. Dynamic vibration dampening is another. Being designed specifically for NAS applications has it advantages. :)