RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
capall

WD Red 2TB $109 on amazon?

jcollison

My WD green drive experience has been the exact opposite as ITTOG (and maybe most). In the last year I have run a dozen or so WD Greens in my N40L, IcyDock, Drobo and everything in between and not one failure or problem. Brought a good chunk of them to the meetup. 1, 1.5, 2TB and even sent some 3TBs to John Z that I think are still running. I run all these device 24/7. Just my experience.

ikon

Too be clear Jim, I haven't had any failures of WD Greens per se. What I've had is a strong tendancy for the Greens to develop bad sectors at a much quicker pace than other drives in my inventory. I run them through SpinRite and they good to go again, but it means I have to do that more often, which is a PITA.

WireBoy

Nice! This has me considering liquidating my assortment of 2TB drives (mostly WD Greens) and going with the 3TB Reds in my two Sans Digital 4-bay eSATA towers. I recently RMA'd two 2TB WD Greens, including one that was DOA right out of the sealed bag.

jmwills

Some of the thinking around this forum has always been that the Green Drives were on the lower end of the quality spectrum, or the blacks and blues were of higher quality. Whichever it is, your moving forward process seems to be a good one.

capall

thanks guys, some great insight there. I thought the 3Tbs were a bit of hassle though? if one is on the fence whether to need that amount of space (2TB vs 3TB) is it worth going with the 3Tb over the 2Tbs', price aside.

ikon

My next drives will be 3, or 4, TB.

jmwills

Power management would be an advantage to making the switch. Depending on the size of your case, making the jump could also be an advantage in freeing up internal space and improving airflow.

capall

thanks, I've only 3 slots available in my N40L microserver, and I think I'll use one of them as a backup drive.

But surely a 3Tb would use more power than a 2Tb?, and if its less than half full, that would be an argument back for the 2TB?

capall

newegg now selling Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB's for $109. seems I have options. Wish I was ready last week to buy drives, ..but xmas sales arecoming too,

ikon

But surely a 3Tb would use more power than a 2Tb?, and if its less than half full, that would be an argument back for the 2TB?

Why on earth would you think that? While I haven't checked the specs, I would be amazed if a 3TB from the same series would use significantly more power than a 2TB.