RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Polkast Music App free this weekend

Dave

Polkast is a music streaming app and it's free for the weekend. iOS and Android

Features

Play any playlist, album or song stored on your computer without device storage limits.

Create new playlists on the go choosing from any song in your music collection.

Shuffle through playlist, artist, album or your entire collection of songs -- rediscover old favorites!

Listen offline as smart caching dynamically manages local storage.

Connect to one computer where your music is stored.

Requires installation of the Polkast homebase, the free companion app that runs on the desktop computer where your music files are stored.

Go to www.polkast.com on your home computer to get the free companion app.

Supported OS: Windows 7, XP, or Vista; Mac OS X 10.6 or higher.

The computer must be on, connected to the Internet and not in sleep mode to play songs not stored in cache.

iOS App Store

Google Play store

ikon

I have another way to listen to music while on the go. It's a fantastic new technology, called r a d i o :D

cskenney

It seems that every one of these streaming applications has to install a "server" on to the PC in order to send the stream to the portable device. Wouldn't it be nice if there was some kind of "standard" software that acted as a media streaming server.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Why would you want to stream your music when you can just put it on your mobile or a mp3 player? I don't understand the desire to stream music.

ikon

Why would you want to stream your music when you can just put it on your mobile or a mp3 player? I don't understand the desire to stream music.

To eliminate the burdensome chore of copying the music to the portable device, and so you have access to your entire collection.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

To eliminate the burdensome chore of copying the music to the portable device, and so you have access to your entire collection.

I guess my 64 GB phone is larger than most people have? Or they have a lot of music.

ikon

64GB is a pretty big phone but, even if people with 64GB phones have less than that amount of music, they likely have other things, like a bunch of photos and some videos too, that they want to carry with them. I might stream music from my server, but my bandwidth caps make that impracticle.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      I'm used to the Tweetum App in Windows that allowed me to manage multiple twitter accounts but now that I've moved to Android I'm not sure what App to go with for the same/more utility.  What are you folks using?
    • Dave
      By Dave
      RESET Forums now has an Android app on the Google Play Store.  I don't see it via search since it just hit but I have a hard link to it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapatalk.homeservershowcomforums&rdid=com.tapatalk.homeservershowcomforums

You can install it from there.  If you are a TapaTalk user it will look familiar with one caveat. You login with your RESET Forums credentials, not your tapatalk creds.  Once logged in you will notice more options for your interaction, notification, etc.

I hope you enjoy this app. iOS is coming soon.

• Dave
      By Dave
      I like this author but he seems to blame  MicroSD technology for user error. I used to love a phone that supported upgradeable storage but finally bit the bullet and went with a 128Gb Pixel XL and couldn't be happier.  No errors with the card, no worries with drops, and faster storage.
      Secondly, this all could have been avoided by locking the phone! No, you might not get it back, but your worries are gone, and scumbag thief has a bricked device. A good home warranty will replace that handset.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/moving-from-android-to-ios-lessons-learned-helping-with-a-transition/

The last two points I get. No arguments there.  Seriously folks. Upgrade from your old Galaxy S3, Ahem Avram Piltch, get a decent phone and a good home warranty coverage for your portables.

Read the rest of this article and pay attention to the Transition section. These points and many more make it VERY hard for me to consider an iOS device as my daily handset.
    • ultimusrex
      By ultimusrex
      Hey everyone. First of all, I'm unsure if this is the best place for this thread, so admins, feel free to move it, if necessary.   As I am just starting (or trying to get started) setting up a smart home/home automation system, and I am a huge technophile, it has always been a dream of mine to have a cool (and useful) central touchscreen control panel in my house. As I was dreaming up future plans for my smart home, I revisited this concept. At first it was a fleeting and fanciful dream, since there is no way that, on our budget, I am going to waste an expensive tablet computer to act as a mostly dedicated wall-mounted control panel. But then my eyes got wide, along with my grin, as I remembered the likes of www.gearbest.com -- with a huge selection of relatively dirt cheap off-brand smart phones and tablets. So now I've been thinking very seriously about this possibility and searching for a good tablet at a good price, as well as some nice wall-mount hardware.   So I'm wondering what you all think about the DIY touchscreen control panel for the smart home. Do any of you already have something implemented? I am trying to compile a list of possible uses for such a device, to make it as useful (and cool) as possible. If you have any ideas, or know any good apps for this purpose, please include them in a reply. The ultimate version of this idea would be to have a tablet eventually in most rooms of the house, maybe a larger, slightly more expensive one near the home entry, and smaller, cheaper satellite devices throughout. I personally would prefer an Android tablet for this, but if you have any ideas for an iPad (or Windows), please share those, too.   Here are some of my own ideas: Home Automation Control Center -- most likely using the mobile app for whichever smart home ecosystem you have decided to go with in your home Weather Station -- Lately I've been really happy with an Android app called "Weather Timeline" that I think would look good and work well Music Player -- I don't think this would work very well if you're a big audiophile, but using the tablet's bluetooth, you could connect it to bluetooth speakers in the room or a bluetooth receiver in your media center and play Pandora, Spotify, or whatever over them, or find a more robust whole-home music system that has an tablet app available for control. Video Phone -- using Skype, Google Hangouts, or whatever. Motion Sensor/Security Cam -- I know there are ways, with combinations of apps and the likes of Tasker, to have the built-in (front-facing) camera watch for motion then start recording or broadcasting when it sees something. Intercom -- if you have tablets mounted in multiple rooms and don't feel like shouting across the house to your spouse or children, you could "call" them on the tablet network. I know there has to be some walkie-talkie-type apps available, or there's always Google Hangouts with voice calls and video calls. Note/Message Center -- you could keep a notepad or sticky notes widget, or an audio note app, on the home screen so you can leave memos to your family, manage your shopping list, etc. Household Calendar -- using Google Calendar (or whatever app/service your household uses), you could keep track of everybody's agenda. Security System Control Center -- Currently, we have an ADT system, but once our contract is up, I'm hoping to cancel them and set up a self-managed system and use a mounted tablet for controlling and activating it.  
      I'm sure I'll think of some other ways to use a wall-mounted tablet, and I'll try to add them to this list as they come to me (or as I add them to my own mounted tablet).