RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Polkast Music App free this weekend

Dave

Polkast is a music streaming app and it's free for the weekend. iOS and Android

Features

Play any playlist, album or song stored on your computer without device storage limits.

Create new playlists on the go choosing from any song in your music collection.

Shuffle through playlist, artist, album or your entire collection of songs -- rediscover old favorites!

Listen offline as smart caching dynamically manages local storage.

Connect to one computer where your music is stored.

Requires installation of the Polkast homebase, the free companion app that runs on the desktop computer where your music files are stored.

Go to www.polkast.com on your home computer to get the free companion app.

Supported OS: Windows 7, XP, or Vista; Mac OS X 10.6 or higher.

The computer must be on, connected to the Internet and not in sleep mode to play songs not stored in cache.

iOS App Store

Google Play store

It seems that every one of these streaming applications has to install a "server" on to the PC in order to send the stream to the portable device. Wouldn't it be nice if there was some kind of "standard" software that acted as a media streaming server.

Why would you want to stream your music when you can just put it on your mobile or a mp3 player? I don't understand the desire to stream music.

Why would you want to stream your music when you can just put it on your mobile or a mp3 player? I don't understand the desire to stream music.

To eliminate the burdensome chore of copying the music to the portable device, and so you have access to your entire collection.

To eliminate the burdensome chore of copying the music to the portable device, and so you have access to your entire collection.

I guess my 64 GB phone is larger than most people have? Or they have a lot of music.

64GB is a pretty big phone but, even if people with 64GB phones have less than that amount of music, they likely have other things, like a bunch of photos and some videos too, that they want to carry with them. I might stream music from my server, but my bandwidth caps make that impracticle.