RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My first server, raid. My first anything and everything. Help?

trepak

As the title says, I am a noob! I might? know want I to do with the N40L, but not how.

How to install and what OS and software on USB stick and such I can deal with later. I want to buy this on amazon as soon as possible because I want it before cristmas. A gift from me to me :3

So I am wondering it there is something I absolutely should get, or if there is something I could do without:

This post took a while, it is getting late and I am extremely tierd. I was late for work today because of googleing last night. So dumb question may accure.

I have one laptop that I use for Steam, Mediaporatl, foobar and firefox, to a tv. I have it connected to a external hdd (1.5 tb wd) witch is getting full. I use another laptop to download to the external hdd at night time, because it is smaller than the "htpc" laptop. I live in a two story flat appartment (?(my english is bad)) so I share internett and only have wireless internet.

So what i wanted, when I first started searching, was just more space or a DAS to have a storage for my audio / video collection. But I wanted RAID, because (and I know I might be correced now) I feel like it is "safer" to have one drive fail and still be able to save it (raid1 - 5 ?), than it is to have JBOD and loose a full disk with all my music. When I move I will use it as a NAS, but for now a das will do.

So here is the things I need help with, if this can be done, and if there is a smarter way for it. I did not know what to search for, so if there is links or any tips at all is highly appreciated

The HP is in another room, and is turned off most of the day. When I get home and turn on the laptop the server will boot up with the pc and function as a "external HDD" or media server, via esata or usb3? And then at night I would connect a different laptop via esata or usb2/3 to download with. Or to be used as a hotspot if that is even possible.

OR! I am planning on buying 8 gb ram ( (though I have not googled why I need it, yet) so i could just get a gpu and have it connected to tv via HDMI and use Hamony one to controll it with HP wireless MCE usb? and buy a express card with ESATA to download and transfare the files.

But I do not need it to run 24/7, does that effect the hp or raid any at all?

Can the N40L have raid5, or is better to use Raid 1 for my purpose?

I am sure I would have figured this out with google in a few days, but the throuth is that I do not have that much time since I have other xmas presents to buy. Hehe. Thank you for reading, hf:D

There is one excellent thread here name "Modified BIOS for N40L" or something close to that. Everything and anything you need to know about the Microserver is in there. That thread is very well worth your time to read.

I have no idea where to start. It doesn't really sound like you do know what you want to do. I guess the best approach is for you to make a list of the things want to do; not with this hardware specifically. What you need is a list of things you want to accomplish without regard to hardware or software. Then we can see what it might take to accomplish those things.

There is one excellent thread here name "Modified BIOS for N40L" or something close to that. Everything and anything you need to know about the Microserver is in there. That thread is very well worth your time to read.

Thank you, I will read it for sure.

What you need is a list of things you want to accomplish without regard to hardware or software. Then we can see what it might take to accomplish those things.

Ok, It might be true that Im not really sure what I need. Guess I will find out when I do not have it. But, here is the list:

I want it to be able to be connected to my laptop so I can use Mediaportal or XBMC to watch 1080p.

I want it to turn off when I do not use it, and on when I use the laptop.

I want it to have raid, but I do not want the laptop to have any software installed. What raid? I do not know.

I want it connected with esata or usb3. Or if possible to create my own LAN with ethernet cables.

I do not want it to be connected to the network / internet. But I want to be able to use another laptop to download onto the server.

If possible, to have a backup of the drives? if I need to spend alot of money for that to happens, then never mind.

I want something small, low power consumption and minimum 4 bay.

I think that is it.

I just read through my post again, all I can say is that I was tierd..

Thanks you.

It's pretty unusual to connect a client computer to a server using eSATA or USB. To be honest, I'm not even quite sure how the computers would look to each other (if they can see each other at all). eSATA for sure, and mostly for USB, are used to connect storage media to a host computer.

USB can be used to connect other types of devices, like printers, scanners, sound cards, speaker systems, game controllers, etc., but I think the 2 most common uses are printers and external disk drives/thumb drives.

I have never used either of these technologies to connect 2 computers together directly.

It is normal, and actually quite simple (these days), to connect computers together using Ethernet. Although you can connect 2 computers directly together using an Ethernet cable, the more common way is to connect the computers to an Ethernet switch. Switches allow multiple computers to all talk to each other.

I want it to be able to be connected to my laptop so I can use Mediaportal or XBMC to watch 1080p.

Normally, you would use a client computer running XBMC to browse files on the server and play them.

I want it to turn off when I do not use it, and on when I use the laptop.

Not sure how feasible this is. There are ways for a client computer to wake up a server, but I get the impression you want some magical 'instant on' kind of solution wherein you would start up your laptop and the server would just be there. I don't think this is reality.

I want it to have raid, but I do not want the laptop to have any software installed. What raid? I do not know.

Where do you want the RAID; on the server? If so, then your client laptop certainly does not need any RAID software to connect to the server over a LAN.

I want it connected with esata or usb3. Or if possible to create my own LAN with ethernet cables.

See my other post on this.

I do not want it to be connected to the network / internet. But I want to be able to use another laptop to download onto the server.

Connecting to a Local Area Network (LAN) and connecting to the internet are different things. It is certainly possible to connect a server to a LAN and not have it access the internet.

If possible, to have a backup of the drives? if I need to spend alot of money for that to happens, then never mind.

Backup is a whole topic unto itself. There are many things to consider but, IMHO, the most important is to ask yourself, "How would I feel if this data went away and I couldn't get it back?". I role-play the scenario, pretend some data is gone, and then consider what impact it has.

I want something small, low power consumption and minimum 4 bay.

Although I don't have one, a lot of people here on HSS really like the HP MicroServer N40L.

• 3 months later...

Re: RAID

Surprisingly enough a RAID5 might not always be a safe option. Multiple disks may fail at same time due to a power glitch or a RAID controller can fail leadin to a loss  of the whole drive.

Bottom line: RAID is a safe solution only with a sound backup policy (tapes or copy on another hard drive).

Personallly I preferred to turn off the RAID option on MicroServer and keep backups on hard drives connected through eSATA and USB (so that the backup drives are powered by a different power source).

Regards

Tomas

Re: RAID

Surprisingly enough a RAID5 might not always be a safe option. Multiple disks may fail at same time due to a power glitch or a RAID controller can fail leadin to a loss  of the whole drive.

Bottom line: RAID is a safe solution only with a sound backup policy (tapes or copy on another hard drive).

Personallly I preferred to turn off the RAID option on MicroServer and keep backups on hard drives connected through eSATA and USB (so that the backup drives are powered by a different power source).

Regards

Tomas

I've never seen multiple disks fail at one time but RAID, at any level, is not a backup solution.  A minimum of three copies, 2 on different medium and 1 copy off site.

• Like 1

I've never seen multiple disks fail at one time but RAID, at any level, is not a backup solution.  A minimum of three copies, 2 on different medium and 1 copy off site.

A friend reported all disks in his RAID array fried at once due to a failure in power source.

No backup? The likelihood of what happened is better than winning the lottery.  He should have had a UPS in the stream.