RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remove disk from 2 way mirror in storage spaces

joem

I am testing 2012E and getting conflicting information on how to remove a drive from storage spaces and replace it with another. Does anyone have the correct information on how to do this? Thanks.

I am testing 2012E and getting conflicting information on how to remove a drive from storage spaces and replace it with another. Does anyone have the correct information on how to do this? Thanks.

Did you try this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11382.storage-spaces-frequently-asked-questions-faq.aspx#How_do_I_replace_a_physical_disk

Here's a good article also IMHO http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/05/virtualizing-storage-for-scale-resiliency-and-efficiency.aspx

Yes. I found out you go to Server Manager>File and storage services>Volumes>Storage Pools. Then right click on the Disk and select Remove Disk. Thanks.

The File and Storage Services section of Server Manager Available in Windows Server 2012, you can use Server Manager to create and manage storage spaces (also referred to as virtual disks) and their associated storage pools on the Storage Spaces subsystem as well as on non-Microsoft storage subsystems. Server Manager provides support for performing all of the tasks administrators commonly perform with Storage

Is anyone else actively using Storage Spaces in WS2012e at the moment? Unlike many, I wasn't exactly heart-broken when MS removed drive extender from WHS2011. I've been using a hardware RAID5 array since WHS2011, but was curious how storage spaces works if you're not concerned about high performance disk I/O?

Is anyone else actively using Storage Spaces in WS2012e at the moment? Unlike many, I wasn't exactly heart-broken when MS removed drive extender from WHS2011. I've been using a hardware RAID5 array since WHS2011, but was curious how storage spaces works if you're not concerned about high performance disk I/O?

I have been for the last month. Other than the write performance it works great. It doesn't really bother me because I'm accessing it through the network so the speed isn't a big thing. Its just used for storage and streaming.

One thing I did like is that I recently moved the SS array from one computer (2012E) to another (Hyper-V Core 2012). It was as easy as just plugging in the drives and they were recognized as an already setup SS. The SS data is all saved to the drives so the compatible OS's will recognize them when they are plugged in.

Other than performance my experiences has been positive for me.

I have been testing SS and I like. The slower speeds don't make any difference to me. But SS has been reliable and stable for me. I have put it through the paces and it just seems to work. Of course if you are a performance freak then a raid card would be the way to go.