RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

3TB HDD Strange Issue?

pjalexander73

I have a build on a Asus p5b-plus. On the original install I already had a Storage space with 2 3tb Hitachi drives formatted and with data. Simple no resilience, it showed as 5.46TB or there about. One of the hitachi drives started to fail so I removed it and planned on just adding a 2tb hitachi i had and creating a new Storage space with the remaining good 3tb drive. Well no matter what i do the 3 tb drive now will never show more space than 746gb in 2012se. If I partition the drive in gparted the server can see the full drive, but once I delete the partition in windows it can only see the 746gb again. I had 2011 installed on the same machine and the only thing required was an update to the rst driver to see the full 3tb on the same drives. I thought the driver that came with 2012 didn't have this issue though. I tried to update the driver but none but one would install and that one, the windows 8 version blue screened so I had to roll back. Any ideas? The Storage controller is the ICH8R.

How did you remove the drive? Did you use the Server Manager>File and Storage Services>Volumes>Storage Pools and then right click on the drive you wanted to remove and select remove? If not, what procedure did you use to remove the drive before physically removing it from the box?

The disk is set to basic. The original Storagae Space was created on a windows 8 box. I just used the control panel applet to delete the space then physically removed the failing drive.

Delete the partions on the 3TB (it appears you already have, so there's no important data).

Then, use DISKPART from the command-line to work with the drive. Select the disk, then make sure you convert it to GPT

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732165%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

See if this allows you to partition and format the drive the way you want. I hope this helps; I had some issues myself creating large drives on my RAID-5 array during the install of S2012E and found this was what I needed to do. I'm just guessing, but I wonder if during your changes, the 3TB drive somehow reverted back to MBR instead of GPT.