RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kylejwx

CrashPlan back up to network share SOLVED!

kylejwx

Hey just a follow up to my original post.

I have been using this solution for a few months now and it is working.  CrashPlan backs up to the attached VHD just like it would any other drive sitting right in my computer case.  So as far as the CrashPlan side, everything works as I had originally hoped.

However, as some of you have realized any network disconnections or a Windows reboot will cause Windows to disconnect the attached VHD.  As far as I can tell this would be the case for any attached VHD regardless of whether it was on a Drobo or anywhere else.  I did find some people who were using a Windows login script to attach the VHD every time Windows rebooted.  That could be very useful for some, but it just wasn’t necessary for me.

Overall I am still very happy with this solution.  I just go in to Disk Management a couple times a week and attach the VHD and CrashPlan does its thing.  It’s not quite as simple and straightforward as I would have liked by it still accomplishes my original goal.

Edited by kylejwx

ikon

Don't you love it when a plan comes together? :D

jmwills

Especially when it doesn't.......crash.

ikon

Too true.

obiwan9999

i'm new to the crash plan and this site. Did you set up the Virtual drive and then copy information from the one drive to the other.  I have an existing NAS set up with information and would like to back it up via crashplan.  One i make the VHD what info am i seeing

kylejwx

I guess I am not really sure what you are asking. I would create a dynamically expanding .vhdx directly on the NAS. Then attach it, and copy your existing CrashPlan backup archive to it, or just start a new back up. I hope that helps.

Edited by kylejwx

eskaypee

Hello, kylejwx.

Curious - Is this solution still working for you?  I have a (fairly) new Drobo 5N, and am wondering if this solution would work.

Many thanks.

Stuart (Eskaypee)

ikon

Also, kylejwx, I noticed you mentioned VHDX. Is that correct (i.e. not a typo)? If so, it would answer my one worry about using this approach: that the storage space would be limited to 2TB.

kylejwx

@eskaypee I no longer have the Drobo, but it worked fine when I did use it. I would recommend creating a boot up script or task that attaches the virtual disk on start up.

I would recommend a dynamically expanding VHDX format. Not sure if Windows 7 supports it but win8/server 2012 do and it is supposed to be better than a regular .vhd file.

eskaypee

@kylejwx - Thank you!  I've been dragging my heels re/ upgrading from Win-7 to Win-8.  My backup needs, at this time, don't exceed 2TB, so I may have dodged a bullet.  My system is in pieces, right now, due to a home remodel, but I ought to be able to give this a try in a couple of weeks.  I'll post back when I give VHD a try.