RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kylejwx

CrashPlan back up to network share SOLVED!

kylejwx

Also, just to add another note to this discussion, when I set up the backup on my wife's MacBook Pro the CrashPlan software allowed me to select a network share with no issues. I am assuming that the ability to select a network share is enabled on the Mac version of CrashPlan, but not on the Window's version. Can anyone confirm this?

ikon

OK, the problem was I wasn't waiting for it to refresh the drives and was right clicking immediately. When I did this, I only got the "Configure Shadow Copies" option. Seems like there is a lesson in there somewhere for me, but I don't have the time to figure out what it is. :)

LMAO :D

jmwills

The network option is there on Windows, or I am about 90% sure.

jcollison

Creating that VHD takes a while. I started with a 1TB VHD. My total storage requirements are less than 300GB, so I should be good for a while.

kylejwx

Creating that VHD takes a while. I started with a 1TB VHD. My total storage requirements are less than 300GB, so I should be good for a while.

It sounds like you created a fixed VHD. I used a 1TB dynamically expanding VHD and it was created instantly. My Drobo only has 2TB and I didn't want to use up half of it for my VHD. Currently the "1TB" VHD is only taking up 61GB.

My guess is that there is a slight performance hit for going with the dynamic disk, but this is just for backups and reliability, not for speed.

ikon

It sounds like you created a fixed VHD. I used a 1TB dynamically expanding VHD and it was created instantly. My Drobo only has 2TB and I didn't want to use up half of it for my VHD. Currently the "1TB" VHD is only taking up 61GB.

My guess is that there is a slight performance hit for going with the dynamic disk, but this is just for backups and reliability, not for speed.

Good info. Thanks.

jcollison

I did go with the fixed disk size because it said "recommended" in the option. I guess I could try the dynamic too.

jmwills

Dynamic would actually you to over allocate the available space but you would have to be very careful about monitoring this.

jcollison

It's on the Drobo FS, so as I got close, the Drobo would ask for additional space with a flashing light. That actually might be more ideal than fixed with a Drobo

jmwills

Very smart device that Drobo!