RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New WHS 2011 Upgrade

JDLucas

For the above proposed setup, is it necessary to flash the BIOS with the "modified version" or will the original shipped HP BIOS work fine. I may have asked this question before, but there's no mention of it above from the originator or anyone else, so not sure.

Thanks

For the above proposed setup, is it necessary to flash the BIOS with the "modified version" or will the original shipped HP BIOS work fine. I may have asked this question before, but there's no mention of it above from the originator or anyone else, so not sure.

Thanks

It will work. "fine" is a relative term. The SATA Ports 4 & 5 which represent the eSATA Port and the SATA Port on the MB will run at half speed which probably wouldn't be a big deal with std stock HD's.

So is my understanding correct;

The OS drives above, WD Scorpio blues, which run at 3.0Gb/s , and are typical of what people have been installing in the ODD of their microservers, will run at the IDE speed of 1.5Gb/s with the stock HP Bios, since that is what the MB ODD Sata and eSata ports run at ?.

Given that WD reds (and barracudas' for that matter) run at 6.0Gb/s, in what type of operations would you see the affects of running the OS at the IDE speeds?

Sounds like upgrading to an SSD won't make any difference if running from the SATA/eSATA ports at IDE speeds, or will they actually make up for some of the slower IDE speeds?

I am finally upgrading from my HP MediaSmart Server V1 after 5 years of trusty service. I picked up a HP Proliant N40L Micro Server on sale for $260 and Windows Home Server 2011 for $50.

My game plan is as follows:

Install 8GB of memory in the N40L

Install an ICY DOCK MB982SPR-2S Full Metal Dual 2.5" to 3.5" SATA HDD set to Raid 1 with 2 ea. Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD1600BPVT 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD's all mounted in the DVD slot on the N40L, along with Windows Home Server 2011 OS. Not sure if SSD's are a good price point here?

Populate the N40L with 4 ea. Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD's and be good to go for another 5 years, while keeping the working MediaSmart Server V1 as alternate storage.

Not sure if anybody has done this exact build, would be interested in anyone's thoughts.

@JDLucas: Congrats on the new install. If you are interested, and you haven't already bought one, then I would like to give you a free license for Home Server Status for WHS 2011. Just send me a private message with the first and last name, along with your email address and I will email you a license.

First, not a big deal, but just to clarify, the stock speeds of those 2 SATA ports aren't really 'IDE' speeds; they're SATA I. SATA I is 1.5 Gbps, SATA II is 3Gbps and SATA III is 6 Gbps.

IMHO, if you connect an SSD to either of those 2 SATA ports (presumably you'd connect to the mobo port), and use the stock firmware, you will see a noticeable reduction in performance. With the 'mod' BIOS, performance should be much better. It still won't be up to SATA III speeds, but it will be better than stock firmware.

To get full performance from your SSD, you could use a SATA III PCIe add-in card.

@JDLucas: Congrats on the new install. If you are interested, and you haven't already bought one, then I would like to give you a free license for Home Server Status for WHS 2011. Just send me a private message with the first and last name, along with your email address and I will email you a license.

That is awesome. The people here are great!

Well, aren't we feeling the Christmas spirit :D Seriously Jerry, very generous of you.

Well, aren't we feeling the Christmas spirit :D Seriously Jerry, very generous of you.

Thank you. This forum has given plenty to me. I actually like to give free licenses out. I can't tell you how many I have done. :rolleyes: As a matter of fact, the next 5 people who tell me they would like to have one, just send me a PM and I will send you a license. This license works on HSS for WS2012 as well.

Edited by JerryW

Thank you. This forum has given plenty to me. I actually like to give free licenses out. I can't tell you how many I have done. :rolleyes: As a matter of fact, the next 5 people who tell me they would like to have one, just send me a PM and I will send you a license. This license works on HSS for WS2012 as well.

I was just about to upgrade my WHS to 2011 but would really like to move to WS2012.

If license is still available I would be very grateful.

I was just about to upgrade my WHS to 2011 but would really like to move to WS2012.

If license is still available I would be very grateful.

Sure. Send me a private message with the First, Last names and email address for license.

Thanks to all who inquired. This will wrap up the 5!!