RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New WHS 2011 Upgrade

JDLucas

I am finally upgrading from my HP MediaSmart Server V1 after 5 years of trusty service. I picked up a HP Proliant N40L Micro Server on sale for $260 and Windows Home Server 2011 for $50.

My game plan is as follows:

Install 8GB of memory in the N40L

Install an ICY DOCK MB982SPR-2S Full Metal Dual 2.5" to 3.5" SATA HDD set to Raid 1 with 2 ea. Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD1600BPVT 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD's all mounted in the DVD slot on the N40L, along with Windows Home Server 2011 OS. Not sure if SSD's are a good price point here?

Populate the N40L with 4 ea. Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD's and be good to go for another 5 years, while keeping the working MediaSmart Server V1 as alternate storage.

Not sure if anybody has done this exact build, would be interested in anyone's thoughts.

• Like 1

I concur with everyone else. I also do not think you need to go SSD for the OS drive. It will only speed up your server a tiny bit. The only item I might reconsider is the 2TB drives; I might go for 3TB.

I am finally upgrading from my HP MediaSmart Server V1 after 5 years of trusty service. I picked up a HP Proliant N40L Micro Server on sale for $260 and Windows Home Server 2011 for $50.

My game plan is as follows:

Install 8GB of memory in the N40L

Install an ICY DOCK MB982SPR-2S Full Metal Dual 2.5" to 3.5" SATA HDD set to Raid 1 with 2 ea. Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD1600BPVT 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD's all mounted in the DVD slot on the N40L, along with Windows Home Server 2011 OS. Not sure if SSD's are a good price point here?

Populate the N40L with 4 ea. Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD's and be good to go for another 5 years, while keeping the working MediaSmart Server V1 as alternate storage.

Not sure if anybody has done this exact build, would be interested in anyone's thoughts.

Received the N40L from Newegg along with the memory upgrade. Installed the Corsair 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMX8GX3M2A1333C9), was a super simple installation compared to WHS V1. Next on the list was to install the WHS 2011 OS via a preloaded USB stick, as before super simple.

Did not expect the hours of updates from MS though. Desided to use the N40L furnished 250GB drive for the OS, just for a trial until I order the Icy Dock MB982SPR--2S and laptop drives.

Once you get those updates all installed, and the system appears to be functioning properly, be sure to create a bare-metal-restorable backup using the built in Windows Server Backup.

What I've done to streamline installation on new boxes is to have slipstreamed Windows install ISOs ready to go. Basically, it involves getting the basic ISO, then incorporating the most recent Service Pack into the ISO. From there, I bring the system right up to date using Windows Update. There are lots of resources on the internet on how to SlipStream.

I concur with everyone else. I also do not think you need to go SSD for the OS drive. It will only speed up your server a tiny bit. The only item I might reconsider is the 2TB drives; I might go for 3TB.

I disagree on the SSD. A SSD will be significantly faster than the 5400 rpm drives.

I disagree on the SSD. A SSD will be significantly faster than the 5400 rpm drives.

Well, it is a server, so my thinking is that there won't be much interaction with the System Drive once it's booted up and, presumably, it will not be rebooted very often.