RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ghosting on recorded Media Center HD TV content

Jerry

Let me start off that I love my HTPC media center. Have been using for about 3 years. I've been using to manage and watch my DVD collection. I cut the satellite cord last month and moved to HTPC for all viewing. Locally I have 18 off-air channels using two HDHomeRuns, about 500 DVDs ripped on a WHS2011 server and use Netflix online. Just loving it!! Here's the problem. If DVR is recording a HD off-air program and we're watching another off-air program or a ripped DVD, then the recorded program will have a ton of frame hits. Only happens if we are watching something (live or saved) and recording at the same time. I'm using an MSI board with on-board graphics, an i3 2120, 8G of memory and a 7200rpm 1G harddrive. I have no problem upgrading to an i5 or i7 for that matter. No problem adding discrete graphics or another harddrive. I just don't want to start throwing cash at this thing without some options.

I would first try adding a 2nd drive, but I think this would only help if you keep your saved programs on one drive and record to the other. The main thing would be that this would help isolate whether your main issue is I/O or CPU.

I would first try adding a 2nd drive, but I think this would only help if you keep your saved programs on one drive and record to the other. The main thing would be that this would help isolate whether your main issue is I/O or CPU.

I agree with ikon. I had similar issues and then added a 2nd drive and the issues went away. Do not use a WD green drive as the 2nd drive though. Get a 7200 rpm drive.

Another fast hard drive would be a good start. I've had very good luck with WD Black Drives. As ITTOG stated I would stay away from the Green Drives if your trying to Record and Playback multiple HD streams. They just wont keep up. I would even go as far as to recommend putting your ripped DVD collection on a separate drive from your Recorded TV content.

I don't know if your Motherboard supports it but , one thing I have done is to attach a small SSD cache drive and link it to the Recorded TV drive. I believe Intel calls it Intel Rapid Storage Technology. I have a Crucial M4 64GB SSD accelerating a WD Caviar Black 1TB drive for my Recorded TV. I sometimes record 4 HD OTA streams at on time and playback an HD show all from the same drive without a problem. The SSD caching acceleration really helps you zip through the navigation of the content you are watching.

Just my 2 cents. :D