RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID Controller & New owner of 2 Micro Servers

samuk

Hi Guys,

I am new, work just bought me 2 Micros Servers - so real excited at the moment..

Can someone tell me in the HP P400 Raid Controller will work in the NL40 Servers? (405132-B21)

i have flashed the bios - thanks to the info i found on this site.. :-)

I have a large collection of MKV movie and games library that i want to pop on here to stream accross the network.

My Netgear Ultra4 NAS box is up for sale..lol

I have 2 Options:

Option 1: Singe Windows 2012 Server with Storage Spaces

1. Install x4 2TB drives into the front slots 1-4

2. Install x1 2TB drive into the optical bay with the SATA cable connected to the rear of the box (outside)

3. Install Windows 2012 on a SSD install internally in the optical bay

4. Use Windows 2012 Storage spaces to pool and create volumes

Option 2: ESXi on USB with multiple VM's

1. Buy a HP P400 raid controller - Can someone tell me if this will work

2. Install x4 2TB disks in slots 1-4, x1 2TB disk in the optical and x1 2TB disk external

3. Create a Hardware RAID 5

4. Install ESXi on a USB and plug to the internal USB port

5. Install multiple VM's - some for file sharing and others for testing

I have 2 boxes, so would look into replication of some kids for DR..

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance..

Edited by samuk

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• schoondoggy

• LoneWolf

Thanks Greg, I am in the UK..so no newegg here...

I have read posts from people saying the HP P410s will fit but nothing about the P400 low profile raid controllers..

Thanks Greg, I am in the UK..so no newegg here...

I have read posts from people saying the HP P410s will fit but nothing about the P400 low profile raid controllers..

When you go to a Product page at Newegg they also have links to the Manufactures Page for that Product as well as the Manufactures Web Site so you might be able to find distributors in your Country from their Manf. Web Site.

The HP 410 does work -- for an interesting configuration with a 410 check out LoneWolf's setup with a MicroServer Here -- some pretty good ideas there IMHO.

-snip-

I have a large collection of MKV movie and games library that i want to pop on here to stream accross the network.

-snip-

I have 2 Options:

Option 1: Singe Windows 2012 Server with Storage Spaces

1. Install x4 2TB drives into the front slots 1-4

2. Install x1 2TB drive into the optical bay with the SATA cable connected to the rear of the box (outside)

3. Install Windows 2012 on a SSD install internally in the optical bay

4. Use Windows 2012 Storage spaces to pool and create volumes

-snip-

I lean towards Option 1 mostly because it is the simpler of the two options. You've already flashed the BIOS and you're using the MicroServer and some basic HD's and a solid OS (though for your stated application WS2012 may not be optimal) so you're issues would be minimal.

If you're thinking of the OS doing the streaming or at least some of the streaming then you may want to look at WHS-2011, WS2012E or Win8Pro -- with WHS-2011 and Win 8 Pro being the far cheaper options. With WS2012E and Win8Pro you could establish resilency with Storage Spaces set up in a 2-way mirror just like in WS2012 plus you have the media streaming ability of WS2012E and Win8Pro.

With any configuration you'll want to think about a backup solution for your system.

• 4 weeks later...

What's the best and/or cheapest RAID card that can be used in a Microserver and can handle 5 or 6 disks?

I believe people have used RockRaid 2720 cards successfully in their MicroServers.

Only 5 disks would be possible provided you ran a 2.5" for the OS in the conventional setup. All types of addon/in enclosures, but the N40L can only handle 5 3.5: drives internally