RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can't use my GoFlex Home

Rod at home

Rod at home

About 10 days or so ago, I upgraded my desktop PC to Windows 8 Pro. I've been enjoying it ever since, even though I've got no touch capabilities. But I do have 1 problem. I have a Seagate GoFlex Home external HD, connected to my Netgear router and on my network from there. When I had Windows 7 on my desktop I used their software, Seagate Dashboard, in order to access it. After upgrading to Windows 8 the Seagate Dashboard stopped working entirely. It seemed as though the only thing I could do was uninstall it, so I did. Now I can no longer do anything productive with the GoFlex Home. I can see it, in Windows Explorer, I can open it up in Windows Explorer, but that is as far as it gets. I can't play music files from it, and I certainly can't write anything more to it. Has anyone any idea as to what's wrong, and why I can't access it?

Make sure you run that up the support channels at Seagate. I am sure they would love to hear about it. Might be a driver issue with Windows 8

Try connecting it to your W8 machine to see if you can get full access from there. If so, you could share the drive across your network from there

Rod at home

Not familiar with the product, but can it be used in compatibility mode for Windows 7?

How would I access the drive using Windows 7 compatibility mode? Can you run Windows Explorer using compatibility mode?

Turn off the Firewall first to see if that works and if so, create a rule to allow the connection. Does the device pull it's own IP Address?

Rod at home

@HSS Legend, the device does pull it's IP from the router. However, I've tried to reserve the IP address in the configuration of the router. I can remember doing that. I think I also tried to statically assign the IP address in the web interface to the GoFlex Home, but right now I can't remember.

I want to thank everyone for responding! WOW, I am so impressed with the amount of feedback!!! I'll attack this tomorrow.