RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Proper Thermal Paste or Pad for GPU & CPU in Acer Revo 3610 Rebuild

Joe_Miner

Joe_Miner

As part of the process of converting my very first HTPC (I had upgraded it several years ago to 4GB RAM and Win7Pro) I wanted to change out the spindle hard drive to an SSD before converting the ACER Revo 3610 ("3610") to Win 8 Pro.

To change out the HD I had to remove the MB from the 3610 which ment I had to remove the CPU/GPU cooler and fan.

gallery_1229_27_952.jpg

The GPU was covered by a thermal pad while the CPU was covered by a hardend thermal paste.

gallery_1229_27_70557.jpg

I removed both and cleaned the heat sink, then tempered the heat sink with AS5.

gallery_1229_27_1235.jpg

I cleaned the GPU and CPU and after applying AS5 I re-attached the heat sink and heat sink fan

after 4 hours of operation I was not happy with the temperatures I was seeing -- both with the GPU and CPU and when I removed the heat sink it didn't look to me that even contact was made between the heat sink and the GPU or CPU

gallery_1229_27_52419.jpg

Should I have used a thermal pad with the GPU?

Should I be using something other than AS5 with the CPU?

I noticed that the heads of the screwes that held down the heat sink did not seat fully into the heat sink when I re-attached the Heat sink which makes me think there is not enough mass (providing height) between the CPU/GPU's and the heat sink to give it more height -- is there such a thing as shims? maybe CU shims? If i were to find/use shims would regular AS5 then work?

You didn't mention how you applied the Arctic Silver. I'm wondering if perhaps there was too much paste. The technique I've heard for quite a while is to apply a single thin line down the middle of the CPU/GPU and then reattach the heat sink, evenly tightening the hold down screws in a criss-cross fashion, to ensure the 2 surfaces are brought together.

Joe_Miner

You didn't mention how you applied the Arctic Silver. I'm wondering if perhaps there was too much paste. The technique I've heard for quite a while is to apply a single thin line down the middle of the CPU/GPU and then reattach the heat sink, evenly tightening the hold down screws in a criss-cross fashion, to ensure the 2 surfaces are brought together.

That's what you did with a Atom 330 (which has two retangular shinny heads) and a Nividia ION?

You are likely right though -- I may have too much paste on the Atom. I used the AS recommendation for surface spread method

I did use the cris-cross method to tighten the heat sink screws attaching it to the MB.

Edited by Joe_Miner
  • 2 months later...

Congratulations on your perseverance. I'm normally known as a guy who sticks to it, but I think I would have given up at some point on this project and decided it would be better to buy a new unit. Enjoy the fruits of your labour. :)

Joe_Miner

Thanks Ikon -- actually, in a strange sort of way it was fun :) -- got to use my Dremal and gained a LOT of experience in applying Thermal Paste AS5 :D

Actually, you raise a question I had; given its thinness, couldn't you have just used scissors or a utility knife on a mat to cut the copper?