RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Cow1200

40 TB of music help

awraynor

And those better ways help me to spend a lot of money too!

ikon

And those better ways help me to spend a lot of money too!

There's always a price :D

jmwills

Open a DJ business.

ikon

Unless this is Public Domain music, or you own the copyrights, I wouldn't think there is much you can do legally. Remember, if you buy music on CD or from iTunes or similar, you do NOT own the music - you have only bought the right to listen to it yourself.

Cow1200

Just finished... 

I would like to thank Auslogics Duplicate File Finder http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/duplicate-file-finder/ This took forever moved and deleted all duplicate music files.  

And

WinMerge

WinMerge help to find folders that where within the same folder tree

example

c:\Photos\Dogs\Molly

d:\Photos\Dogs\Newfolder\Molly

It will tell you if the files are on both sides.  Not 100% use this to it's full power just to find where same folder existed within a folder tree.

Then I used Auslogics to delete the folders I wanted.  Windows 8 came in big help with the folder merge.  Until the beta ended this year and I could only do 2 hours of this at a time.  In the end no where around 40tb 98% of the drives where the same. Less then 2tb when finished I have two backups and a ton of blank 2tb drives now.  Thanks for all the help and support guys.  Richard

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Wow, that is a significant reduction.

Thanks for the follow up.

ikon

Yes, thanks for posting back. Coincidentally, I recently used Auslogics Duplicate File Finder to get rid of hundreds of duplicate files at a relative's business. I haven't tried WinMerge though. Maybe I'll look into it.

Your space reduction is very impressive. One thing for sure: you now have plenty of drives to use to back up your data, on site and off site :D

msawyer91

That is an incredible reduction. Thank you for sharing your findings. I'd heard of Auslogics Duplicate File Finder before but never used it. I never heard of WinMerge at all. These sound like some tools worth looking into. While I don't have a duplicate file anywhere near the magnitude of yours, hunting my drives for dupes and eradicating them might help me reclaim a decent amount of space. Especially on a couple of the PCs where they're getting scotch on the free space.

With all the free drives you could start a small cloud data center for your neighbors and charge them a monthly fee. :)

jmwills

WinMerge is a great little tool for examining similar files such as configuration files from a SharePoint front end web server, or at least that's where I was introduced to it.