RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Cow1200

40 TB of music help

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Wow, itunes struggles with 5,000 songs, now you are talking about 100,000. Good luck with that!

You will need to use the worlds fastest computer for that; Tianhe-I.

ikon

Just to clarify, we don't know how many songs he has. What we do know is that he has hundreds of thousands of dupes. 20 computers, each with many, many folders (presumably each event would get its own folder) and the same songs in many of them, he could easily have 100 or more dupes of a single song. In the end, he might still be more than 5,000 songs but it's hopefully a lot less than 100,000.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I used 100,000 because he did in his first post. It doesn't matter if most of that is duplicated or not when you begin because ituens will see all 100,000 songs and most likely die a horrible death. If it does work then performance will improve as it reduces the quantity.

jmwills

Now if iTunes could only die a horrible death, this would indeed be a great day!

ikon

I used 100,000 because he did in his first post. It doesn't matter if most of that is duplicated or not when you begin because ituens will see all 100,000 songs and most likely die a horrible death. If it does work then performance will improve as it reduces the quantity.

Yeah. Hopefully, by following the suggestions to do a drive or two at a time, he won't run into capacity issues like that.

jcollison

In iTunes and your Music in focus, select File - Display Duplicates. Very easy

awraynor

Duplicate cleanup in iTunes is a joke. Use Dupin Lite via the app store and you'll be glad you paid a few dollars.

I use Amazon for my whole music collection and iTunes match for my favorites. Given I use an AppleTV, jailbroken

of course in my living room, Match works very well with that device.

jcollison

Duplicate cleanup in iTunes is a joke. Use Dupin Lite via the app store and you'll be glad you paid a few dollars.

I use Amazon for my whole music collection and iTunes match for my favorites. Given I use an AppleTV, jailbroken

A joke? Didn't think it was that funny! :)

btw..you might be right Tony. Never used iTunes with that many songs. Maybe 3000 max without issues for me.

awraynor

A joke as in a laborious task. Thanks Apple for pointing out my 800 duplicates and making me click them one by one.

I love the Zune software and it isn't any better from that perspective. And not to mention that whole skeuomorphism thing that

Apple has going on.

ikon

That's what's great about HSS forums; somebody always has an even better way :)