RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

LX 195 Hdd replacement

I have a LX195 running on WHS2011.I used the WD HD utility to check the condition of HDD.It showed too many bad sectors + test failed towrds the last 2 minutes and recommends changing HDD. I am using it only as my Music server for Squeezebox and so data loss is not an issue(I have back up of all files).

My WHS 2011 installation disk is non-OEM version, I bought with the server from Ebay(says microsoft company store purchase).I am thinking about buying a new HDD and installing WHS2011 on it fresh using headless installation method. Will I be able to use the WHS 2011 copy to install it one new HDD or will I end up purchasing a new whs2011 OEM ? :(

You could use something like Acronis True Image to make a clone of your hard drive (since it is still working right now).

Others will probably chime in but I believe you should be able to install your copy of WHS 2011 as a fresh install on a new HDD. If there is an problem registering the copy you could just call MS and explain that you had to re-install the OS, had problems and need to re-register the software.

I'm curious....you don't have the server restore disk from HP?

Thank you.The original LX195 came with WHS V1and it has the restore disk from HP.But apprently the seller updated it with WHS 2011which is working as a music server with 2GB ram installed. As I mentioned I am trying to run it with current HDD as much as possible ,since it only has music files and I have copy of all those files. I was thinking it may still work for few months and when it fails I will get a new HDD. I tried getting help from MS online but homeserver 2011 support is available for 79$.I can buy another OEM WHS 2011 for half of that money. Is there a number available for MS that I can call in case I come across problem during installation to change Key?

Your right, I wasn't thinking that the box came with v1. You should be able to re-install the OS as a clean install.