RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to store Folder Shares Credentials

xi1152

Every time i restart a client computer I have to enter the users credentials to get access to the Folder Shares again. The PCs have not been joined to the servers domain (I don't want to deal with a Domain). I have added users using the Dashboard with the computers user name and password. What else do i need to do to avoid entering a user name and pass to access the shares?

Thanks

Edited by xi1152

Are you connecting a Windows 8 machine ? You can go into Control Panel and Credential Manager and add the server name/user/password.

@ Mr Fixit: I have a different pass and User Name set for the server (admin) and a different for the users. This only happens on PCs that don't have the Connector software installed or the Connector Software is not running. Is the connector software a requirement for this to work?

@ diehard: This is on Win7 computers, i haven't tried Win8 yet.

I think MrFixit is asking if you have the same ID's and passwords on the server as you have on the client PCs. For example, if you have an ID named 'Joe' with password '1234' on a PC, do you also have that ID and password on the server?

I think you're not having trouble with clients that have the Connector because installing the Connector causes the ID and password to be recorded on the server. With a matching ID and password on a client and the server, the server doesn't need to ask for credentials.

Somehow, I think a domain is easier :)

In some cases I agree

I think MrFixit is asking if you have the same ID's and passwords on the server as you have on the client PCs. For example, if you have an ID named 'Joe' with password '1234' on a PC, do you also have that ID and password on the server?

I think you're not having trouble with clients that have the Connector because installing the Connector causes the ID and password to be recorded on the server. With a matching ID and password on a client and the server, the server doesn't need to ask for credentials.

That is correct, That's what I am asking. The server user name and passwords should be the same as the computer name and passwords because things will work better that way.

Try the Credentials Manager applet

Yes that is an option as well and should fix what's going on but that said make sure you setup the user on the server with the same user name and password as they have setup on the computer, You will find less trouble this way. Even if you use the connector software that's what Microsoft recommends.

Edited by Mr Fixit

I do have a user setup on the server that has the correct user name and password as the PC i am trying to connect.

The issue with the connector software is that it forces you to have to enter a password every time you boot windows. I have my HTPC setup to boot into Media Center without having to enter a password. When I go to install the connector software i get an error saying that i need to change that so i have to enter a password every time.

Thanks for all the help.