joem

Cannot Connect Computer to the Server. Help!

joem

As it stands right now if you join a computer to the domain don't plan on adding it again if you remove it. The only way I could add it back was to reinstall Windows 7 Pro. Yikes! If you just use the connector as does home versions of win 8 and 7 you are OK. Susan Bradley is examining my log files and checking the failure point at rejoining the computer to the domain. She thinks it may have something to do with DNS or DHCP. I have not set my server to handle that. It's done in the gateway router. But in any event. If you can join a domain once, why not be able to join it again if you have disjoined the computer? When I get an answer to this question I will post back. Don't hold your breath. It must be some kind of bug in the server software that can't overlook previous files that remain on the client computer that had been previously joined.

Edited by joem

jmwills

Run "NewSid" on the client and see if that helps.

joem

Never heard of NewSid, but I see where it has crashed on Windows 7 machines. Can't find a proper download on it anyway. But thanks for the suggestion.

jmwills

Running NewSid will change the SID of the client

jem101

OK just a wild stab in the dark but what is the IP address of the PC in question, the address of the 2012 Essentials server and more importantly what's the value of the DNS server address for the PC?

Nine times out of ten when 'weird' stuff like this happens it's DNS related - if the PC doesn't have the address of the server as its one and only DNS entry then it really, really doesn't like it.

John

joem

Thanks for your input and interest John. The ip address of the client is 192.168.0.107. The ip address of the server is 192.168.0.138. The DNS is 192.168.0.1, which is the gateway router. Before the unjoin from the server the DNS was the same as the server, but DNS and DHCP are not handled by the server as of now. Everything on the clients is automatic for DNS and DHCP.

I think what I will do eventually is build another Windows 7 pro box and run it through the paces of joining, disjoining and joining the domain again and documenting all the ipconfig information. You may be on the right track, it appears that when the computer is disjoined that the client PCs are not set back to their default setttings still containing domain information that the server doesn't want to see. It expects to see a virgin box that has no information about being joined to it before. No double entendre intended in the last sentence by the way.

ikon

Wow, that is an eye-opening article. Not surprising I guess, considering it's Mark Russinovich. Who would have thought that duplicate SIDs actually are NOT a problem (well, except for the one specific instance Mark outlines). It does, however, explain certain instances over the years where things worked that I and my colleagues really thought should not have.

jem101

Joem

Either manually set it or reconfigure DHCP on your router to set the DNS setting for client PCs to be the address of the server, then try reconnecting. You will need to make sure that the 2012 server's DNS is either properly forwarding requests or the root hints are working ok.

General rule for domain systems is that the DNS on the client absolutely has to point to the server for it all to work properly.

John