RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cannot Connect Computer to the Server. Help!

joem

When I try to run the connector after using the browser (server name/connect) i can successfully download the installer to my computer and run the software. I get to the point where I have entered the user name and password I created on the server and after a short period of time, in the "Connect a Computer to the Server" dialogue box:

Cannot connect this computer to the network: An unexpected error has occurred. For more information, See troubleshoot connecting computers to the server.

I have been researching this all day and cannot find a solution. This computer was successfully connected to this server previously but I had to remove it from the server. I uninstalled and reinstalled .netframework 4.5. Why I can't reconnect is beyond me. Any help would be appreciated.

If there are any additional details you need let me know. Also this is a Windows 7 pro 64 bit computer that I am trying to join to the domain.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• joem

• jem101

Top Posters In This Topic

When I try to run the connector after using the browser (server name/connect) i can successfully download the installer to my computer and run the software. I get to the point where I have entered the user name and password I created on the server and after a short period of time, in the "Connect a Computer to the Server" dialogue box:

Cannot connect this computer to the network: An unexpected error has occurred. For more information, See troubleshoot connecting computers to the server.

I have been researching this all day and cannot find a solution. This computer was successfully connected to this server previously but I had to remove it from the server. I uninstalled and reinstalled .netframework 4.5. Why I can't reconnect is beyond me. Any help would be appreciated.

If there are any additional details you need let me know. Also this is a Windows 7 pro 64 bit computer that I am trying to join to the domain.

Have you removed the prior domain connection from your client machine ? if not do that. second have you removed the client from the server? that could be the next warning you see. good luck

Have you removed the prior domain connection from your client machine ? if not do that. second have you removed the client from the server? that could be the next warning you see. good luck

Greg you beat me to the punch. That's what I was going to tell joem to check, I have had the same problem before and once I set the computer back to workgroup mode then reinstall the connecter software all was well. Shure would be nice if the connecter gave an error that told us that's the trouble or even better gave us the option of setting the computer to workgroup when uninstalling the connecter software.

joem just in case you don't know how to check what Greg and I are saying, Open the charms on the right of your screen go to settings then PC Info and look under computer name, domain and workgroup setting.

Good Luck

Yes I removed all traces of the prior domain from the computer. I am currently running chkdsk on the server and the client. Also I posted this issue on the Windows Server 2012 Essentials General Forum and am going through what he suggested now.

See the reply at:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserveressentials/thread/7a7b663b-03ea-448d-8ed3-92fa7053dc6c

Open the charms on the right of your screen go to settings then PC Info and look under computer name, domain and workgroup setting.

Charms on Windows 7?

Here is my reply to the other forum and more information as I have done more troubleshooting.

1. Between removing and trying to reconnect the client to the server, did you do anything to the server? I added two Western Digital Red drives and created a two way mirror storage pool and moved the server folder to that pool. That is all I did.
  2. Are other clients connected to the server? How many? Are they still functioning properly? I have one Window 8 box and it works fine on the server.
  3. Do you have any other clients you can try to add to the server that have not been connected before? I will hold off on this for now as I have additional information that I will supply at the end.
  4. Can you post the log files (3 total) from the client (c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs) to SkyDrive and share a link to them? I see several .log files on the Logs folder. Can you tell me specifically which three?
  5. Can look in the Event Viewer on your server for any errors in the logs during the installation? I didn't see any errors.

Now for more information. I have another test server and that I got the same error message when I tried to join this computer to that domain. I will try to join another computer and see if there are issues.

I successfully joined another computer to the server. It was a Windows 7 Home Premium box. I must conclude there is some issue with the computer that won't connect. I will do an image restore of that computer before I originally joined it and see if that works. There must be some registry issue or something like that after you join a computer, disjoin it and then try to join it again.

Too much of a coincidence that it fails joining to two different Windows Server 2012 Essentials servers.

Here is an oddity. On this computer I cannot get connected to the server it had previously been joined to WHS v1 and although the all the connector software had been uninstalled it was still backing up to the WHS. I thought if you uninstalled the connector software there would no longer be an association to the WHS! Evidently you must remove the computer or at least disable any further backups. What do you think? Could this be the problem with joint to WS 2012 E? After restoring an image I will go back to the joining process again.

I restored an image to the computer from the time I successfully joined the computer before. I still get the error message. I don't know if I will have to reinstall the server or not at this point. It is just plain crazy. Can't join this computer to either Server even though I have done so in the past. Nothing left to try.

At this point I did a clean install on the problem computer and it joined with no problem. But that does not tell me why this issue happened. For now I am going to presume that if you join a computer, take it off and try to rejoin there will be this issue. So I will probably take another computer that is joined and disjoin it and try to rejoin it again and see if it has issues.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I have 3 businesses I want to deploy this server software on and periodically have to remove and rejoin computers. If this version of server is not reliable I can't use it. I have other domain controller versions of Windows and never experienced this.

I have other domain controller versions of Windows and never experienced this.

Me too. All the way back to Microsoft LAN Manager. :D OK OK, it wasn't technically a Domain back then, but you get the idea.