RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 / Drivepool / iTunes

Static

More set up issues

I've got the HP N40L microserver and am still trying to set it up so that it all works smoothly - it does work but I've got some problems.

My set up is:-

6gb Ram

320gb 2.5 HDD - for the OS

Drivepool containing HDD's as follows:-

250gb

2x 2TB

1 x 1TB

I have the Drivepool set up to duplicate files. My iTunes Library is pointed at the Drivepool.

So ... I'm guessing this is why my iTunes Library is full of multiple copies ?

Should I:-

1. split the drivepool into two parts (turning duplicate off) and back up from one part to the other
  2. remove drivepool
  3. do something else ?

Also another Newbie question ... when you back up data:-

• is this the same as a mirror
  • are the backed up files the same size ... ie so the two partitions would need to be the same size.

A final question - if I wanted to move the OS to a 32GB USB is that as easy as copying all the files from the current drive and pasting it to the USB drive ? I'm guessing not ?

Probably dumb questions but there you have it.

Thanks

I can't answer the drivepool questions as I don't use that program. As for the USB stick question the answer is no as you have to set it up to be bootable. Search for something like boot from usb and you should find many links that will help.

I would not set up a USB thumb drive at all; they're not designed to handle things like drive caches. They don't have wear-leveling. You're almost certain to burn the thumb drive out very quickly.

By 'DrivePool' do you mean StableBit DrivePool?

I don't use DrivePool, so I'll leave those questions to others.

A mirror is NOT the same as a backup. A mirror is RAID-1. It means everything on one drive is duplicated exactly on the other drive. It's a form of redundancy and its main purpose is to help keep a system up & running. If one drive fails, it's often possible to replace it while the system continues to run and have it rebuild the mirror - no downtime.

A good backup strategy follows the 3-2-1 protocol:

1. a minimum of 3 copies of all data;
  2. data is stored on 2 different kinds of media (DVD, disk, tape, etc.);
  3. a least 1 copy of the data is stored offsite.

RAID arrays don't satisfy rules 1 or 2, but number 3 is where they really fall down; they simply don't offer any protection from disaster.

I have to admit I do not follow rule 2. I compensate for it by having 4 to 5 copies of all data. It has proven to be a robust solution. The way I look at it, rule 2 is really for long term storage - years or decades - and is to help ensure that the technology required to read the data from at least 1 of the 2 forms of media will still exist. I'm not sure how valid that theory is, but at least it attempts to keep data accessible over time.

The backup files created by WHS backup are the same size. However, depending on how much data there is to be backed up from the clients, there will be a larger or smaller number of files that make up each backup.. Single Instance Storage affects this quite a bit too, because it only keeps 1 copy of each file, no matter how many clients have that file.

More set up issues

-snip-

I have the Drivepool set up to duplicate files. My iTunes Library is pointed at the Drivepool.

So ... I'm guessing this is why my iTunes Library is full of multiple copies ?

Should I:-

1. split the drivepool into two parts (turning duplicate off) and back up from one part to the other
  2. remove drivepool
  3. do something else ?

Also another Newbie question ... when you back up data:-

• -snip- (answered by ikon)

A final question - if I wanted to move the OS to a 32GB USB is that as easy as copying all the files from the current drive and pasting it to the USB drive ? I'm guessing not ?

-snip-

Welcome to the Forums Static! Congratulations on getting a HP N40L MicroServer and StableBit DrivePool.

There are a few things I am unsure about in your description above. I don’t understand what you’re describing

I have the Drivepool set up to duplicate files. My iTunes Library is pointed at the Drivepool

In WHS-2011 with DrivePool installed you manage your Server Share Folders (“Folders”) in the Dashboard. DrivePool is integrated into the operations of WHS-2011’s Dashboard – so that is where you have to do your work on your Folders. You can create folders in File Explorer and even move them to DrivePool with File Explorer but WHS-2011 will not see them in the DashBoard and you are not able to turn on duplication in the DashBoard if DrivePool doesn’t see them in the DashBoard.

server_folders_enable_duplication.png

When WHS-2011 your default folders were on Drive D: (you said your OS drive is 320GB). In the DashBoard you can create new Folders and move those as well as your Default Folders to your DrivePool (assuming you’ve already set up drivepool) – when you’ve moved a folder to DrivePool you have the option to turn-on folder duplication. If your Folder that your iTunes music is stored in was created in the Dashboard and moved in the Dashboard to the DrivePool and you then turned on Duplication for that Folder I don’t understand why your iTunes would see a double of your files. You can turn off duplication for that Folder in question and see if that makes any differrence. Remember in DrivePool you control Duplication for individual Folders in the DrivePool.

It may help to review the StableBit Guide to DrivePool.

http://stablebit.com...vePool/Features

http://stablebit.com...ool/Screenshots

You also have the option with DrivePool to move your Folders to one of your Hard Drives outside of DrivePool -- why anyone would do that I don't know but it's something you can do. It is a handy feature if you're moving a Hard Drive to your WHS-2011 with a lot of files already on it -- you can add that Hard Drive to the DrivePool and DrivePool will only use the Free Space available on the loaded Hard Drive -- and as you move files from the Hard Drive to a Folder(s) in DrivePool (created of course in the Dashboard) and space free's up on the Hard Drive DrivePool will use the freed up space --- this is a very handy feature when you're moving a LOT of data into WHS-2011's Folders.

• So ... I'm guessing this is why my iTunes Library is full of multiple copies ?

I doubt it but I don’t have a iTunes Folder on my WHS-2011 or in my DrivePool. PCDoc has done a lot with iTunes on WHS-2011 – see his article at

http://homeserversho...ets-itunes.html

and check out

http://homeserversho...tag/ihomeserver

• split the drivepool into two parts (turning duplicate off) and back up from one part to the other

No. I don’t believe Folder Duplication is your problem but even if it is you could simply turn it off for that one Folder.

• remove drivepool

No. Wouldn't solve anything and would make server management much more complicated IMHO.

• A final question - if I wanted to move the OS to a 32GB USB is that as easy as copying all the files from the current drive and pasting it to the USB drive ? I'm guessing not ?

You need an OS drive of at least 160GB in order to install WHS-2011. It is going to be a lot of work for you, IMHO, to install WHS-2011 or to move (via cloning with Acronis for example) the OS to a drive smaller than 160GB. I’ve done it on a 60GB SSD but it was with some difficulty. A USB stick would be incredibly slow and if you simply copied the OS files to the USB your system will never boot.

Edited by Joe_Miner

Have you considered the "treat as NTFS" setting for StableBit DrivePool? There are details on the stablebit wiki.

I just set up whs 2011 on a n40l with drivepool and am in the process of testing it out before I find another use for my v1. I too had drive pool set to duplicate the files and in my iTunes which is installed on another computer and the library in the preferences setting is pointing to the music folder on the server. When I went to the file menu in iTunes to add the music on the server to iTunes in the folder view where you select the folder, all of my music was duplicated. In fact windows had added a 1 to the file as it does when you add a file with the same name to a folder. I turned off duplication and deleted the duplicated files and tried again. Everything worked as expected and has not happened again. The only thing that I can think of that happened is that the preference in iTunes that says "copy files to the library when adding to iTunes" was checked and iTunes added them to the folder again.