RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Synology NAS with Windows Library's

itGeeks

Hi All, Ok I just purchased my first NAS to see if I would like it and see if it could replace my WHS 2011/WSE2012 box and everything was going great till I tried to include my media into windows library's, I new my happiness was to good to be true with my new NAS because no matter what I try windows spits an error saying 'location cant be added because its not index. Has anyone found a way to index files on the NAS without saying make available offline? I already know if we all make the files available offline that the files will get index and Windows will be very happy to let you include them to the Library but that's just not a good solution with TB's of data and then what's the point of a NAS?

I really hope someone has figured out how to make this work but after a week of Google searching this out, I am not hopeful. If I cant get indexing to work on a NAS then I guess its back to WSE2012 and that would be a shame because I really do love my Synology box.

Edited by Mr Fixit

I think you're out of luck. It's not just a matter of indexing per se; it's a matter of that indexing being compatible with the Windows Libraries protocol. I suspect you're only going to get that from a Windows Server.

I think you're out of luck. It's not just a matter of indexing per se; it's a matter of that indexing being compatible with the Windows Libraries protocol. I suspect you're only going to get that from a Windows Server.

ikon, Thanks for taking the time to sure up what I thought after a week of researching online. I am blown away that windows & NAS don't play well together for media when you want to use windows library's, That's most of what us home users would use such a device for right? and forget using it with Windows 8 if there no library integration because everything goes threw the library's on Windows 8 so I guess NAS+Windows 8=FAIL.

Well the good news is I only started out with a Synology DS213 and not the 8 bay that I almost purchased so not a complete lose.

Dave has a Synology. It would be good to ask him about his experience. I will see if I can bring this thread to his attention for his input.

ikon, Thanks for taking the time to sure up what I thought after a week of researching online. I am blown away that windows & NAS don't play well together for media when you want to use windows library's, That's most of what us home users would use such a device for right? and forget using it with Windows 8 if there no library integration because everything goes threw the library's on Windows 8 so I guess NAS+Windows 8=FAIL.

Well the good news is I only started out with a Synology DS213 and not the 8 bay that I almost purchased so not a complete lose.

I believe the Synology has its own ways of streaming media, but interaction between dissimilar systems is another matter. I hope Dave can give you a workaround.

Dave has a Synology. It would be good to ask him about his experience. I will see if I can bring this thread to his attention for his input.

Well that would be great as its HSS Dave fault that I purchased this unit in the first place, LOL. I have been following Dave and the home server show for the last four years and it seems like every other show Dave is pushing Synology boxes and how good they are for years so I finally purchased one and its useless with Windows Library's.

HSS Dave PLEASE reply.

Hey Guys,

My apologies as I was out of reach for the weekend. I'm getting to work on this now. I think I might call in the big guns too!

Hey Guys,

My apologies as I was out of reach for the weekend. I'm getting to work on this now. I think I might call in the big guns too!

Thanks Dave, I new you wanted to keep the "god father of Synology" title LOL. Yes these NAS companies are going to have to do something to make there products work with library's in order to remain a viable home server replacement. If Synology can make this work out of the box then they will be the leader and fist one to do it. And y your talking to the big dogs tell them to make a single-instance Bare-metal backup program then they will have full circle.

Thanks for taking the time to try and help.

Thanks Dave, I new you wanted to keep the "god father of Synology" title LOL. Yes these NAS companies are going to have to do something to make there products work with library's in order to remain a viable home server replacement. If Synology can make this work out of the box then they will be the leader and fist one to do it. And y your talking to the big dogs tell them to make a single-instance Bare-metal backup program then they will have full circle.

Thanks for taking the time to try and help.

The question then is, "Why not just stick with Windows Server?". It, effectively, is a NAS and it has support for Libraries and SIS. I admit, it would be nice to have other options, but we already have something that works. My 2 cents.

Ok, I'm back and have received a little help. In my searches I was unable to come up with a hard and fast solution. The Synology folks have two suggestions. I've looked at both but have yet to test either. I do understand the problem as I've seen it myself. Nobody wants to add a NAS share to a library because it would have to be indexed thereby copying the entire share to your drive! Crazy talk. I've simply worked around it BUT, my Synology is not my primary storage device.

Make sure you have duplicate copies of everything before you start testing. Having said all that here are two links:

1.) Third Party Option http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Win7-Library-Tool.shtml

2.) Symlinks http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/how-do-you-add-a-nas-device-to-libraries/55447a3a-64c9-431c-abcb-6f720fd0daaf

Regardless of outcome I gotta say thanks to Synology for helping me out with a "proposed" solution. To answer your other question, they do know about us wanting a bare metal backup and restore solution. I've told them many times and they hear us. Implementing it is a different story and to be honest with you I don't know if they ever will. To me this might be better left to third party vendors like Acronis. I don't know that anyone else will nail single instance storage and deduplication at our level like Microsoft has. Just my 2 cents.