RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Music in the Cloud

vinylfreak

Over the last several weeks I have heard @jcollison talk , on different podcast , that he was gradually moving his Music collection up to to the Amazon Music service in the Cloud. On the same note , I thought I would share an experience I had , that just frankly Blew Me Away!

Prior to getting my Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8 last Sunday , I have been running the final release of Windows 8 Pro for a little over a month. I have also been a Zune Music Pass subscriber going on 4 years now. The Zune Music Pass service, has recently been renamed to the XBox Music Service. The new service was more than just a rename, it also added new features.

As part of setting up my Windows 8 Pro PC I reconfigured all my Libraries to point to my Media Libraries sitting on my WHS 2011 box . Win 8 aggregated and indexed all my Music , Photos , Videos etc.. from my Home Server shares. When I opened up the Music app in Win 8 Pro , I noticed that some of the albums and songs had a little Cloud icon in the right hand margin of the description. I assumed this had something to do with Sky Drive storage of my music collection. When I went to my Sky Drive I could not see a folder of my Music. At that point I just thought it might just be in preparation of features yet to come. Until I got my WP8........

Once I entered my Windows Account ID to set up my phone it automatically started to pull down my Contact lists etc...... very similar to how Windows Phone 7 behaved.

To my Great! Surprise! when I opened up the Music section on my WP8 there was my Music Collection from my WHS 2011 already on my phone! Not stored locally but links to the Music to stream from the Cloud. All the time Win 8 Pro was indexing my Music Collection it was also uploading the files to a Sky Drive folder specifically associated with my XBox Music subscription. What effort on my part did I have to exert for this to happen?? Nothing!,,,Nada!!,,,Zip!! Windows 8 just did it all in the background , without me even having to lift a finger. What a Great! Feature!

Full disclosure XBox Music was not able to identify and store all of my collection. I do own some slightly obscure Rock and Jazz Albums that it couldn't ID. I would Conservatively say I now have 95% of my total collection available to me to stream to my phone.

BTW this was no small job. I currently have over 3100 albums and over 29,000 songs in my Music Collections. I would have to say , for someone with a similar use case this is a very compelling reason to switch to Windows 8. I am a happy camper. :-D

Great to hear it's exceeding your expectations. Call me paranoid, or a control freak, but I wouldn't want my music syncing automatically; at least not without my permission first. I don't like systems that do things without my OK. Hey, but that's just me....

Great to hear it's exceeding your expectations. Call me paranoid, or a control freak, but I wouldn't want my music syncing automatically; at least not without my permission first. I don't like systems that do things without my OK. Hey, but that's just me....

I can understand that. That being said , I still have all the original CDs and the digital local files. Plus I'm the only one that has access to the cloud files. The ability to access all those files on my phone without any effort on my part far outweighs any paranoia I might have about them being in the cloud. ;-)

I wonder if it actually uploaded the music to the cloud or did it identify that you had the music on your server and then provided you access to a cloud based copy? The 2nd scenario would be better since it isn't using up your bandwidth moving files up to the cloud.

I wonder if it actually uploaded the music to the cloud or did it identify that you had the music on your server and then provided you access to a cloud based copy? The 2nd scenario would be better since it isn't using up your bandwidth moving files up to the cloud.

That is exactly what it did. All of my Music files , with the exception of the XBox Music subscription files that I don't own are ripped in WMA Lossless. The files that Win 8 Pro made available to stream to my phone are High Bit Rate MP3 files. The audio circuitry built into the Lumia 920 still makes the files sound awesome! The Lumia 920 has full equalization and Dolby Headphone built in.

I am taking this route too. I put all of my music on the Amazon cloud, just over 46K tracks. I have taken

my favorite of the bunch and put it in iCloud to easily stream to my Apple TV in the living room and

iPhones/iPads.