RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Getting the most out of my WS2012E

vertisol

So I have my WS2012E server running happily, backing up my Windows 8 laptops for our small family, each of who are setup as users on the domain and one day soon I will have a Windows 8 phone to play with as well. It also serves music and video to the Sony Tv in the loungeroom. We don't yet have a happy marriage with the wifes iPad but I'm less concerned about that for now.

What opportunities am I missing that I should be looking into?

For instance I would like to have a shared family calendar that everyone can see through their devices.

We have ISP email and email for our home business www.pretapawte.com.au which is IMAP so we can download into multiple mailboxes but would love to centrailse it all a-la Exchange so our mailboxes can stay in sync across the various devices.

Love to here how others are using their setup to make life a little less complicated.

Edited by vertisol

So I have my WS2012E server running happily, backing up my Windows 8 laptops for our small family, each of who are setup as users on the domain and one day soon I will have a Windows 8 phone to play with as well. It also serves music and video to the Sony Tv in the loungeroom. We don't yet have a happy marriage with the wifes iPad but I'm less concerned about that for now.

What opportunities am I missing that I should be looking into?

For instance I would like to have a shared family calendar that everyone can see through their devices.

We have ISP email and email for our home business www.pretapawte.com.au which is IMAP so we can download into multiple mailboxes but would love to centrailse it all a-la Exchange so our mailboxes can stay in sync across the various devices.

Love to here how others are using their setup to make life a little less complicated.

Now you've done it: you've got jmwills started on SharePoint again. You'll never hear the end it now :D

It's definitely a involved addition. You'd want to make sure you have 4GBs of RAM at a minimum for it... 8GB preferably...

There are other methods... OwnCloud for instance. Allows calender sharing and syncing. Or you could set up google accounts... and they're pretty good about that... but that isn't a good option if you plan on going with Windows Phone (7-7.5 only sync one calendar from google or exchange, IIRC, not sure that 8 has fixed that).

This may be an unpopular answer, but If you want to make your life less complicating, just use Google Apps.

This may be an unpopular answer, but If you want to make your life less complicating, just use Google Apps.

Ummm, don't listen to this guy. He is a known google employee. ;)