RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Problems with RocketRaid Card

Jerry

Built 2 WHS 2011 servers late last year. One with a loaded Drobo and the second with a RocketRaid 2720 and four 3tb WD drives in RAID 5. The first server has run like a charm. The second one sunk me this week. The RAID array broke. No alert, has been running for a year. Moved some files for back up with storage a little over 3TB of files. The next morning the array had vanished. Tried every trick in the book to restore with no luck. Noticed a new bios and driver was available for the RAID card. Updated and a quick format and all is working again. Must state that I'm spooked with this card. Anyone else had a similar problem? Can't risk another loss. Considering another Drobo, but would rather save the bucks.

Edited by Jerry

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• ikon

• Jerry

• Boris

Had to go check mine after reading that. Luckily all was well. I have had mine about a year as well.

The difference is I know you have good backup.

I know this won't be of any help in helping you recover your data, but is there a reason you're using a RAID controller card instead of a software solution, such as mirroring in the OS or FlexRAID? Other alternatives would be to use unRAID. Unless performance is the #1 goal of your system, I feel hardware RAID controllers should be avoided for both their complexity, finicky nature and added cost. Not to mention the fact that it's impossible to recover a striped array in the event of many types of failures.

I know this won't be of any help in helping you recover your data, but is there a reason you're using a RAID controller card instead of a software solution, such as mirroring in the OS or FlexRAID? Other alternatives would be to use unRAID. Unless performance is the #1 goal of your system, I feel hardware RAID controllers should be avoided for both their complexity, finicky nature and added cost. Not to mention the fact that it's impossible to recover a striped array in the event of many types of failures.

I would argue exactly the opposite; use a RAID card over software solution in almost all cases. They're more reliable, more transportable, better performing, the arrays they build are more robust, and provide better recovery.

As to striped arrays, well, no hardware or software solution can recover from a striped array failure.

I would argue exactly the opposite; use a RAID card over software solution in almost all cases. They're more reliable, more transportable, better performing, the arrays they build are more robust, and provide better recovery.

As to striped arrays, well, no hardware or software solution can recover from a striped array failure.

I agree. not to mention, usually the arrays are MB agnostic.