RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving a v1 HD Data option

mailman1988

I have a 2 drive configuratin V1. 1 drive is failing. I would like to ADD an external HD, "move" the data from the failing drive to it, then "install" the external as an internal drive (Physically). Can I do this? or should I clone the drive ?

Thanks

If it's WHS v1, you can simply add a new drive to the Drive Pool and then Remove the failing drive. WHS will move all the data from the failing drive to the 2 good drives and then you can simplly take the failing drive out of the system.

You want to do it the way ikon mentions. If you move the data to the external and then add it to the pool later, it will format the disk and you would lose all your data. So add the drive to the pool first.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought here - not trying to hijack the thread, but does it matter if its the drive with the OS? Isn't the OS a partition on the first drive in a two drive system?

Just a thought here - not trying to hijack the thread, but does it matter if its the drive with the OS? Isn't the OS a partition on the first drive in a two drive system?

Yes that definitely does matter. If the data on the OS drive is not duplicated it will be lost.

The OS is on the 1st drive but, since WHSv1 will only use the 1st drive for data after the 2nd drive is full, I was figuring he only needs to worry about the 2nd drive.

However, you do raise a good point. If it is the 1st drive that's the problem, then the procedure needs to be expanded a little.

The procedure starts off the same; add a new drive. If there is data on the 1st drive's 2nd partition, the system should move it to the new drive. Unfortunately, this could take a few days and it's not the simplist thing to verify that the 1st drive no longer has any data, but it can be done. I do not know if you can use the Remove tool to remove the OS drive, but I suspect not.

Next, if it's the 1st drive that's failing, shut down the system, replace the 1st drive, then do a Recovery Install. This will restore the OS and retain the Data Pool intact.

If it's the 2nd drive that's failing, use the Remove feature to relocate the drive's data to the new drive, shut down the system, and remove the drive.

One other thing I would like to mention is that my Acer H340 would occasionally indicate that my OS drive had reduced integrity. I would tell the system to Repair the drive, reboot the system, and it would be fine again. I tried using a few different drives and they all did this. I thoroughly tested the drives and never found any actual fault(s) with them. I finally put it down to a pecularity of WHSv1. WHS2011, on the same system, has never indicated any issue with the OS drive.