RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drive Options for Drobo

kylejwx

Ok, now I need some advice on the best drives for my Drobo.

I don't need a ton of storage and 2 Terabytes would be plenty. I currently have one 2TB Western Digital green drive that I could use, but am a bit leery of putting a green drive in the Drobo, based on my unconfirmed notion that the power management of the green drive will conflict with the power management of a NAS and thus wear out the drive faster. In addition, I want to get drives that are rather multipurpose, since they may find a life in some other hardware after the Drobo. This multipurpose preference makes me question WD Red drives, which would otherwise seem like an obvious choice. I would like to consider WD Black drives, but they are bit more expensive.

And finally it seems that USB external hard drives usually run cheaper than their bare drive counterparts. I also thought of getting a 3TB USB3 Seagate Backup Plus for $100 on this Black Friday special. (bit.ly/Qs5x12) Then I would just take the drive out of the USB enclosure and pop it in the Drobo.

What suggestions do you guys have? I am not stuck on any certain brand, though most people seem to get either Western Digital or Seagate. Has anyone used Samsung, Hitachi, or another brand?

I have run only Green drives (about 8 of them) in the 3 drobos I have had and have not run into any issues with them. Green drives have not worried me.

Cannot speak to the reds or the blacks. Reds seem like a good mix of both performace and price.

I agree with Jim that the type of drive shouldn't be an issue for the Drobo; it's built to be pretty tolerant from what I've seen/heard.

If you want the greatest versatility while still saving some money I would look at WD Blues.

If you're talking external drives, my own opinion is that manufacturers use their poorest quality drives in them and that's why they're cheaper. Any time I have a need for a new external drive, I build my own by getting an enclosure and adding my own drive.

I've got a 2nd-gen Drobo and it eats WD Green drives for lunch. I have a good friend who's also lost some green drives to his Drobo. Based on that I'd recommend going with blues or reds.

I've got a 2nd-gen Drobo and it eats WD Green drives for lunch. I have a good friend who's also lost some green drives to his Drobo. Based on that I'd recommend going with blues or reds.

That's interesting...I have had maybe 8 to 10 green drives over the last year or two, in 3 different drobos (4bay, S and FS) running nearly 24/7 without a single issue. What have been the failures eagle63? Did you RMA the drives? How old were they?

That's interesting...I have had maybe 8 to 10 green drives over the last year or two, in 3 different drobos (4bay, S and FS) running nearly 24/7 without a single issue. What have been the failures eagle63? Did you RMA the drives? How old were they?

I know of 2 drives for sure that I RMA'd and they were both less than a year old. (I don't know what the actual cause of failure was..) I think there was a 3rd drive but I don't remember. Still, 2 drives is a lot given that I've never had any other drives go bad in the same Drobo. Now it's possible that I've got a bad Drobo unit, but my friend has also lost at least 2 green's in his Drobo. Maybe we are statistical outliers? :)

I know of 2 drives for sure that I RMA'd and they were both less than a year old. (I don't know what the actual cause of failure was..) I think there was a 3rd drive but I don't remember. Still, 2 drives is a lot given that I've never had any other drives go bad in the same Drobo. Now it's possible that I've got a bad Drobo unit, but my friend has also lost at least 2 green's in his Drobo. Maybe we are statistical outliers? :)

Your experience matches mine; Greens have more issues than other WD drives. ITTOG and I have a hypothesis that WD 'Green labels' drives that get the lowest quality scores during QC.

• 4 months later...

Just a quick update:

I ended up grabbing a Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB on a Black Friday deal. So far, so good with that one.

However, my WD Green drive failed in my Drobo last weekend, after running for about 4 months. RMA is in progress.  The hard drive was used when I got it from Jim, but it seems like he has a way of keeping Green drives going in the Drobo.