RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restore w/o WHS 2011

Hawnted

Is it possible to perform a client bare metal restore, when the WHS 2011 box is no longer accessible? I have a client that needs restored, and I have access to the folder with all the existing Client Backups, but the WHS itself is no longer online.

Thanks

Should he not be able to stand up a new WHS2011 box, copy the backup folder to it, and then restore, as long as he keeps the same names for everything? Has anyone tried it?

That was the only solution I could think of, but the gear has already be re-purposed. I was hoping to utilize the backups going forward, but had forgotten that they rely on the server.

You could create a VM of WHS-2011 in Hyper-V, ESXi, or Oracle Virtual Box -- attach a big enough VHD to hold your backup data base and off you go. You'll need the WHS-2011 OS as well as a VM host -- if you're new to VM's then Oracle Virtual Box may be your easiest option. Check out Jim Collinson's Guide on installing WHS-2011 in OB

OVB was my first VM Host and it works quite well IMHO and runs on top of Win7 and many other OS's -- my only problem with it was if my OS (Win7 in this case) did an automatic update and reboot while a VM was running in OVB the VM crash was pretty spectacular -- keep an eye on your Host OS auto updates and you're fine IMHO.

Check this thread for info on how to work around the problem of Host Reboots while the VM is running http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3128-virtualbox-addon-for-whs2011/ also check out the Home Server Show Podcast #180 and the Show-Notes

Edited by Joe_Miner