RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Move server folder shares?

Stealth

Hi all,

I am a home user based in the UK and I could do with some help.

I have decided to move from WHS V1 to Server 2012 Essentials with the goal of hosting my own Exchange Server for my family.

I have a PERC H700 Raid card with the following configuration setup:-

2 x 1TB SAS drives setup as a RAID 1 with the server OS installed on it. (Leaving 890GB of unused space)

4 x 2TB SAS drives setup with RAID 5 for the data drive (giving me around 5.4TB of storage space)

My new “Server Folders” (users and backups) reside on the C: drive. Surely I need to move these to the RAID 5 data drive right?

If so how to I go about it.

By the way I am logging on as a domain.

Any help would be very much appreciated….

Steve

Hi all,

I am a home user based in the UK and I could do with some help.

I have decided to move from WHS V1 to Server 2012 Essentials with the goal of hosting my own Exchange Server for my family.

I have a PERC H700 Raid card with the following configuration setup:-

2 x 1TB SAS drives setup as a RAID 1 with the server OS installed on it. (Leaving 890GB of unused space)

4 x 2TB SAS drives setup with RAID 5 for the data drive (giving me around 5.4TB of storage space)

My new “Server Folders” (users and backups) reside on the C: drive. Surely I need to move these to the RAID 5 data drive right?

If so how to I go about it.

By the way I am logging on as a domain.

Any help would be very much appreciated….

Steve

I haven't played with WSE2012 enough to give you a definitive answer on how to do it, but definitely I would be looking at moving it to the RAID5. Have you right-clicked on Server Folders and checked if there is an option to move?

Go to your Windows Server 2012 Essentials Dashboard and you can move your Shares there (you can also create additional Shares there too) via the Storage Menu.

clip_image043.jpg

Going very slightly off topic but mindful of your original post; you really shouldn't attempt to install Exchange onto Server 2012 Essentials. Exchange does have a habit of taking exception to being installed onto a domain controller, which naturally is what essentials is. Best practise would be to install Server 2012 standard directly on the hardware and then install the Hyper-V role. Install Essentials as a VM along with another Server 2012 standard VM and then install Exchange on top of that. You don't really have enough drives to do it properly and 'by-the-book' but you would probably be OK.

Edited by jem101

Adding to jem101's post, I personally prefer to install Exchange Server on its own server/VM. It's a complex application and I think it's better for performance, maintenance, and troubleshooting if there are no other apps that could potentially conflict with it.

Thanks for your reply’s.

This is not what I wanted to hear!

I was aware Microsoft’s advice was not to install Exchange on the same box. But I have also heard it would be ok.

My preference was to have it on the same box to cut down the admin of two server’s and save on hardware cost’s and power. Server Essentials is already a learning curve so not sure VM’s is the best route for me at this time.

If it’s a definite no no to install Exchange then maybe better to run in on another smaller box. I would appreciate advice on this.

Steve

Advice and what Microsoft says are two different things. Exchange can be installed on a DC with no issues, as evidenced by the Small Business Server installations where Exchange and SharePoint are all on the same box. However, I'd put it on a VM but be mindful of the RAM requirements which are quite steep now for Exchange.