RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Patch panel mounting between wall studs

mar2k

I have an unfinished area in my basement where I would like to mount a Cat 5e patch panel at least 12 ports between 2 wall studs (16" OC). Does such a thing exist? Everything I see is rackmount (19"). Or does anyone have suggestions/websites etc for solutions for this (or their own examples). Thanks.

I was looking at the structured media panels but was wondering exactly what I would put in one to be honest. I love the look and this would be high WAF but if these are proprietary, the Leviton patch panel I was looking at was around $200+ for a 24 port and still a premium for the 12 port. Plus the switch will be the more expensive investment on top of that with the same dilemma. What are you guys using in the panels? Where they there when you bought your home or did you have them put in? Tnanks.

The main problem with mounting between studs is the depth of the wall. The structured media panels work because they have designed their own proprietary hardware to fit into the space. Unfortunately you end up paying more for the high WAF (making it all look neat and tidy).

You could also use something like this patch panel. http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-N050-012-Cat5e-Mount/dp/B000067SC6/ref=pd_sim_e_20 You could potentially make a couple of brackets to mount it inside of a structured media panel with the ports facing down. Or you could get really creative and build your own enclosure to fit this patch panel inside along with any other hardware you need (switches, etc)